Commissars

Cuirassier

Originally posted by Andreas:

It's Bavarian. It is a combination of two words, the High German Volk (meaning people) and the Bavarian Trumm, which means something big, as in 'Des is a trumm' (that's a big thing).

Trumm in contrast to any dictionary definition in actual bavarian usage isnt necessarily a big thing.

(what Andreas is describing would be better described as an Oschi*).

Trumm has a strong negative flavor to it and can be used to correctly label any annoying object.

Since even relatively small objects can be annoying, especially by being in the way, they can easily be a Trumm despite their relative diminutiveness.

If one of Grandma's cute Hummel figurines features prominently on the table that Grampa wants to use for reading his newspaper, he will wonder aloud what this Trumm is doing there and request the Trumm to be removed "or else...!"

Note that it is not impossible but unusual to use the plural, as Trümmer is usually associated with ruins/debris.

A Trumm can easily become Trümmer, however, if it became too annoying or in the way.

oh, and I am sure RMC has a full grasp of the konkrete usage of Trumm and other local specialties here in Southern Germany...

*btw: "Volks-Oschi"... ROTFL...

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

That's doubly wrong...and I don't see a single banjo.

Banjos? I don't think so. The Yokelfaust didn't make it into action until very late in the war, if at all. Those accounts are sketchy at best. </font>

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

oh, and I am sure RMC has a full grasp of the konkrete usage of Trumm and other local specialties here in Southern Germany...

Yeah, but how is his command of 'Boa' and 'Ey'? That's what we need to know.

In any case, maybe I should have restricted myself to the Bavarian Svabia definition of 'Trumm', where (IIRC from my time helping them to speak proper German) it means a big thing.

Volks-Oschi. Not bad.

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

That's doubly wrong...and I don't see a single banjo.

Banjos? I don't think so. The Yokelfaust didn't make it into action until very late in the war, if at all. Those accounts are sketchy at best. </font>