Question about realism.

Sigrun

Hi guys; smile.gif

I've been following this game since Oleg announced it a couple of years ago, was disappointed to see Codemasters take it up, both relieved and sad to see them dump it (relieved because Codemasters suck, sad because I feared it would never make release).

So anyway, various things have been mentioned concerning it's realism...arcade vs simulation. Now I read in the interview that the game "will not be 100% realistic, some compromises have to be made towards fun" or words to that effect.

Previously I read that the German cannons won't have their realistic range superiority, to prevent size-limited maps being dominated by Axis armor. Now I'm worrying that in the interests of "fun" the German armor will also be nerfed. For instance, we'll see the Tiger1 being taken out at 750m through it's glacis (angled) by a T34/85. Or worse.

So, in the interests of clarification, and not buying a game that'll turn out to be yet another arcade blaster, can somebody please be specific about the "compromises" that will affect this game's levels of realism? I bought the Combat Mission series specifically because it was a full-on simulator, with no compromises made for "fun" over authenticity, and I had hoped that ToW would follow suit.

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Ok, I've read the forum a bit and I've noted three compromises thus far:

1) Buildings un-enterable.

2) No mortars.

3) Nerfed Axis cannon range.

So I guess the Tiger1 will still have it's disadvantage (very slow turret traverse, rendering it a liability in close combat) but not it's solution to that disadvantage (superior long-range effectiveness).

How about armor values in this game, will they be realistic or is German armor to be similarly nerfed? Are we to see T34/85s knocking out Tigers through angled glacis from absurd ranges, in the interest of 'game balance'?

Yes, I'm a grog, and I like it real, and if this game is going to be porked for the sake of the arcade junkies we need to know now so we don't waste our money on yet another *add name of your favourite console RTS here*.

Therefore, a comprehensive list of all the 'compromises' would be fair and honourable.

Thankyou (in advance). smile.gif

Originally posted by Sigrun:

2) No mortars.

No mortars on the map. Mortars are off board support.

They're testing with realistic ranges now and it was all ordnance, not just Axis.

Originally posted by RMC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sigrun:

2) No mortars.

No mortars on the map. Mortars are off board support.

They're testing with realistic ranges now and it was all ordnance, not just Axis. </font>

Originally posted by ComradeP:

RMC: but it effects mostly the Axis, just do some calculations of how a Panzer IVH will fare against 3 T34's if it can only open fire at 400 meters or so.

that point is moot.

it doesnt take 3 T34's or even nerfed ranges.

any Pz IV due to its turret front armor will die as soon as it is exposed to direct sunlight or fresh air.

edit: I just realized that the humor in above statement isnt obvious enough for someone who hasnt been with the CM game and/or board, like - maybe - ComradeP: My irony stems from the fact that in CM the PzIV fares pretty notably bad.

ComradeP, just curious, have you ever played any of the CM series (CMBO, CMBB, CMAK)?

[ August 06, 2006, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

Originally posted by RMC:

They're testing with realistic ranges now and it was all ordnance, not just Axis.

Who said that?

What Moon said is that they now test with longer range than before. Since before they seems to keep most things within 500m, they could now be within 1000 meter instead of 2000 or 4000m.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RMC:

[qb]They're testing with realistic ranges now and it was all ordnance, not just Axis.

Who said that?

What Moon said is that they now test with longer range than before. </font>