Smoke

whiteladder

Hmm very good question. Smoke is extremely important and extensively used in WW2.

There's many types of smoke:

hand grenade smoke

artillery smoke barrages

mortar smoke barrages

german tank smoke mortars(forget the name its hard as hell)

tank shell smoke(fired from the gun/cannon)

etc

Originally posted by whiteladder:

I did a search and didn`t get any hits so I thought I would ask this...

Is the use of smoke modelled in game, either from off map artillery support or from in map elements(tanks,infantry)?

And hello by the way!

Only effects from shots, explosions of hit and destruction

Originally posted by David1C:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by whiteladder:

Is the use of smoke modelled in game, either from off map artillery support or from in map elements(tanks,infantry)?

Only effects from shots, explosions of hit and destruction </font>

As you guys remember we never put in smoke for infantry units in CM because in all of our research, no widespread use of it as a tactical tool could be proven. The story of popping a smoke grenade to advance/withdraw under is just that - a story. The guys on the other side would immediately open up grazing fire through any such smoke with some reliability smile.gif

Smoke seems to mainly have been used for masking larger operations. It really only makes sense at that level if you think about it. And while some arty with smoke ammo would be nice to have, it's already so rare in the game and so abstracted, that I am not sure anybody would be ever using it.

Of course it's clear that my reply will open another can of worms, and we'll hear how smoke is essential to the WW2 battlefield and how a game can never ever make sense without it. :D

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Of course it's clear that my reply will open another can of worms, and we'll hear how smoke is essential to the WW2 battlefield and how a game can never ever make sense without it. :D

Martin

What would the BFC posts be without such wonderful posts?! :D

(That is rhetorical of course)