Unit sizes

Other Means

As far as I can figure from the info so far ToW will use the 3D card to determine hits and cover and maybe even LOS (or a physics card instead if you have one).

If so, there would be no possibility to change visual unit size independently of the combat result computation and this would be out.

You will probably have automatic size changes of those round markers we see all over the place.

So in that case can we mod the skins and have the contact automatically taken care of? So the internal skin would be assigned a class such as PzIV and the spalling etc would follow that model? That would be interesting.

I thought FPS's (which this is similar to) used bounding boxes to say where they edge of the object was wrt the game engine? If so, then the hit box be would independant of the percieved size and the object could have size toggles.

Originally posted by Other Means:

So in that case can we mod the skins and have the contact automatically taken care of? So the internal skin would be assigned a class such as PzIV and the spalling etc would follow that model? That would be interesting.

No, I think what ToW will do with support from 3D card or physics processor will be determining who can shoot at who and who hits what.

What happens after determining it is a hit is not possible to cover with existing physics card physics, much less with the 3D card's colliciton detection mechanism. That has to be hand-coded.

I thought FPS's (which this is similar to) used bounding boxes to say where they edge of the object was wrt the game engine? If so, then the hit box be would independant of the percieved size and the object could have size toggles.

Hm. The 3D cards can assist the programmer in determining what gets hit by what projectile flight path. I think that modern cards allow you to specifiy additional bounding boxes that are not visible but for that collision detection only, so then you would be right.

Originally posted by Other Means:

Playing Panzer Command really made me appreciate the unit size command. It's very possible to lose units, especially infantry in trees etc.

So, can the size be toggled. Related, can trees etc visibility be adjusted on the fly?

While I don't know PZC I assume that it works similar as in our CM games? Anway, TOW doesn't have that. Instead, each unit has a little icon (which you see a lot in screenshots) which indicates its position. If a unit is outside of the screen boundaries, it's shown near the screen edge. You can click on these icons to jump to that unit. You can also of course hide the icons, too.

Martin