Casualties

Earl Grey

It's maybe a dumb question (and has been answered somewhere, though I can't find it right now), but: How will casualties be modelled? Still no medics treating light wounds? :D Does the game abstract casualty numbers like CM did? Is it likely to have someone wounded light enough so he can still fight afterwards?

Medics are not simulated (I haven't seen any at least), but casualties and wounds are not abstracted. The game simulates every individual soldier with name, rank, skill, and each wound. You can have wounded soldiers who continue fighting with reduced skills and morale. If you lose Sgt. Payne, then you lose Sgt. Payne. If the driver of your tank gets hit, then you'll see that, too, by clicking on him.

Martin

It looks like the soilders have health bars going down from 100% to 0%, which remainds me of the typical "RTS-realism". Is this really a sensible way to simulate the state of a soilder? Will we see 1%-health-zombies walking around, and shooting people?

Close Combat had only 3 relevant health states:

- healthy

- lightly wounded : limited speed and effectivity

- heavy wounded or dead : not fighting anymore

The damage was not accumulative: one shot could kill a soilder, or just wound him slightly. I liked this system, and find it more realistic.

Will a casualty also make one or more other soldiers combat ineffective to tend to him?

Taking 3 or 4 casualties in a typical squad should put them out of action, short of defending themselves from being assaulted at very short range.

I'm guessing this is too hard to code/script, so probably not.

One shot can and will kill a soldier but the health of each guy is shown using a bar (same as his moral/spirit). Usually when guy takes a hit, you will hear him scream and that bar will drop down a great deal (its not like you are bullet sponges). You can also guys that just get winged and the health will drop a small bit.

From what I have seen though, guys who's health is very low seem to move, react and fight about as well as you would expect someone who's health is very low. Not well at all, and usually tend to attend to their own needs and ignore the players attempt to use him as cannon fodder.

Madmatt

Units seem aware of causilities that occur around them and will take moral hits as their comrades are killed or their squad leader is killed.

In fact, loosing a squad leader has an added impact as normally you can doubleclick on the SL and your entire squad will be selected. Once he is incapacitated you can no longer do that, although you can still select all the guys by other means (clicking them one at a time to group them together or using the drag and select method with the mouse).

I think this adds a nice cohessiveness element and an encentive to keeping your SL's alive.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

From what I have seen though, guys who's health is very low seem to move, react and fight about as well as you would expect someone who's health is very low. Not well at all, and usually tend to attend to their own needs and ignore the players attempt to use him as cannon fodder.

Aw, you guys are no fun.

sebastian, the health bar is just a quick visual tool to tell the player the rough state of the given soldier. Think of it as different types of wounds which affect that soldiers skills (accuracy, situaitonal awareness etc.) more or less.

Martin