New Scenario - Oberon Station

Alfa-142

The Fulmar Straights - Oberon Station

Oberon station resides next to the only known geothermal vent on Iota Reticuli. Boiling water from wells several kilometers below the arid surface exits under tremendous pressure. The water immediately freezing to ice as it emerges. The ice is collected and melted in a nearby antimatter facility, it is then purified and bottled up. The battle for Oberon station are not the most famous of the Iota uprising but, without a doubt, one of the most important ones...

Download:Oberon Station

Have fun Alfa-142 =)

Looks like a good objective battle - a simple raised plateau like that is a good idea for Objective. It's neither an impenetrable fortress nor a trivial terrain feature.

I really enjoy the background text and overall settings for your scenarios (Hub also does these very well).

Also good to see the thermal vents on there! smile.gif

Looking forward to playing this one on the LAN tomorrow and online with 1.1.4.

Two things that can help with this:

1. You can drop premade "clusters" of things by using an include file. See some of the campaign scenarios for examples. You could use this, for example, to drop premade "bases" into your scenarios where a cluster of buildings are all at the right offset from one another.

2. We're 99% finished with an actual "editor" mode that allows you, from within the game, to pick on the terrain to place objects and then save your scenario file from there. Unfortunately, this won't be ready for 1.1.4.

In the meantime, every time you CTRL-click on the terrain a line saying "PICKED x,y,z" is written to your log file (where x,y,z are the coordinates of the point where you CTRL clicked). You can use this to quickly find places on your landscape. This can help just a little until you have the real editor.

One thing that I find works well for me is to use Terragen. If you set the coordinate data to the same size as is defined in your scenario file, including vertex spacing, you can use the camera position to find coordinates. (Just drag the green dot around, and the row of numbers will change to reflect the coordinate) It's a good way to find all your coordinates without complex work. That's how I did it for Battle Creek.

Basically, it's like this.

step 1- Open Terragen, and import your RAW file. In this example, I'm using my RAW file for my map, Battle Creek, which was made in Terragen.

picture1cx0.png

step 2- go to landscape -> size/radius. In this panel, the dropdown menu should already be the same as your RAW file, otherwise it wouldn't import. Change point spacing to whatever you have it set to in your scenario file so things match up.

picture2is5.png

step 3- being sure your units are still set on "meters", use the green dot to find your coordinates. In this example, the coordinates I'd put in my scenario file would be 1620,1500,0. The z axis is always 0, drop team will automatically place things at the appropriate height. Note- The position of the red dot does not make a difference in the coordinate data for the green dot.

picture3tb8.png

[ August 25, 2006, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: IcemanUSA ]

Very cool scenario. Only problem is that it didn't seem to want to work right for me. Of all the dropships that tried to land (21) only 1 of them managed to unload the cargo. The rest of them just floated around for a while and then floated up and up and up.

I don't know if it was a combination of the 2.1g with the 0 atm of pressure or something else.

Anyone else encounter this problem? I tried a couple other scenarios afterwards and the dropships seemed to be working fine on them.