Jerky gameplay

Anybody have a clue where I could change my game settings to get rid of the split-second lag I get every five seconds? Like a quick stutter. Kinda like in the old days when the game called on the hard drive, but shorter duration and much more frequent.

I've turned just about everything off in the graphic options and still have the problem. Not much different when everything is turned on either.

I dream of playing the game without anticipating the next lag. Makes me clench my jaw! :D LOL

Random Generic

Some specs:

Windows XP Pro

Athalon 64 3200 (used as 32 bit)

ECS SiS 755 motherboard (I know, I know)

2 GB DDR @ 400mHz

Realtec '97 audio on board

Nvidia 7800 GS AGP 8x (I know, I know)

Game installed on 200 GB 7200rpm SATA Hard drive

Not too many programs loaded, plenty of RAM in place for the game to run.

Which leads me to ask...is there some way short of disabling virtual memory to minimize the games usage of the hard drive?

Anybody out there experience the same problem? A slight pause every 5 seconds?

Random Generic

Some specs:

Windows XP Pro

Athalon 64 3200 (used as 32 bit)

ECS SiS 755 motherboard (I know, I know)

2 GB DDR @ 400mHz

Realtec '97 audio on board

Nvidia 7800 GS AGP 8x (I know, I know)

Game installed on 200 GB 7200rpm SATA Hard drive

Not too many programs loaded, plenty of RAM in place for the game to run.

Which leads me to ask...is there some way short of disabling virtual memory to minimize the games usage of the hard drive?

Anybody out there experience the same problem? A slight pause every 5 seconds?

Random Generic

Yup. As stated, I can turn off all options in graphics or turn them on...makes little difference. I can see I get a lower framerate with everything turned in, but that doesn't affect the stutter. Everything off, very smooth...except for the same every five second stutter.

None of my other games stutter like that...COD2, BF2, Red Orchestra, WWII Online.

I've developed a thing about it now...makes it impossible to play the game...it's like Chinese water torture or something.

Random Generic

As usual, you appear to have hit the hammer on the head with your first swing.

0 bots and just my tank (or noone) = no pause

As few as 2 bots on a side and the pauses begin.

Now, as a standalone game I've been keeping the bots on 10 enemy and 9 friendly. That is about what it akes on the map sizes to be tactically interesting.

So it's a server/player issue? As long as I am playing on my own computer I'm going to experience the stutter?

Bummer. I'd play more online but there hardly ever seems to be anyone on. And since I don't have a mic the interaction is pretty minimal anyway. Plus the lag on the servers sometimes gives me some GIANT lags.

Anything I can do to make the game less jerky and run at least 5-8 bots a side?

Random Generic

Well, stuttering like that isn't normal so hopefully there's some way we can address this. The first thing we have to do in order to fix it is identify the cause of the problem.

I'm guessing that pathfinding by the bots is what's eating you. If you're willing to test this hypothesis, then you can dance this little jig:

1. Do your normal 10 vs 9 game setup

2. Get a good few minutes into the game so lots of fighting (and stuttering) is going on

3. Order ALL of your bots to stop (give them all the STOP command)

4. Switch teams and order all of the other team's bots to STOP

(A quick way to make them all stop is to window select them all and hit ALT-S).

Continue driving around and fighting yourself and see if the stuttering has gone away. Keep giving stop orders to the bots if they get destroyed and drop again with new orders. If you have a good couple of minutes of stutter-free play, then we can probably say it is the pathfinding (and yes, we can probably do something about that). If not, then it's something else and we can dance another jig to test another hypothesis until we find it.

Has this stuttering been present in all releases or is it new in 1.1.3 (or 1.1.2)?

I danced the jig and, well...you were right!

Smooth as silk with all the bots stopped.

The second even ONE of them were respawned and actively moving the stutter started (say that fast five times).

Ordered them to stop, and the stutter ceased.

And now I am left with the question...what can possibly be done about that?

Have others reported this kind of problem?

Random Generic

PS. The stutter was present in all releases that I know of.