TCP-IPitfalls

Sivodsi

Okay so I found the firewall in network connections of XP and turn it off. Great, lets get down and dirty with the TcP game. So we get started and about 10 minutes later I get a notice saying that there is a problem and that I should save all my work now because the system is shutting down.

The cheek! How dare it decide whether there is a problem or not!

More importantly, it means I cannot play TCP. Can anyone help?

Which version of the game do you own, the CDV (retail) or BFC (internet-only purchase) version ? The CDV version has a known TCP/IP bug that BFC is trying to workout with CDV. It may take a small while before a patch is ready though.

From your description is sounds like the OS is generating an error, rather than specifically CM. Is your opponent over the Internet or on a LAN with you ? Does this happen with every TCP/IP game or just one so far ? Can you start a new game and see how that progresses ?

I also highly suggest turning off any instant messaging clients while playing a TCP/IP game. They can sometimes interfere at the wrong time and lock up the machine or cause other problems with the game.

Schrullenhaft,

Not having downloaded Zonealarm yet can you give a brief description on how to permit just CM to access to the internet? (Or another CM game to have access to my IP address)

(And happy new year by the way)

The Shareware version of Zonealarm doesn't allow you to specify port addresses (to my knowledge). It's basic setup warns you when a program attempts to access the internet. You can deny or allow it. The Pro (purchased) version may have more settings.

If you're on a broadband connection that utilizes an external networkable piece of hardware, you can use a router with built-in firewall/NAT and other features, which will probably require the opening of ports.

The shareware version of Zonealarm is a basic, but fairly effective piece of software to protect yourself against an number (but not all) attacks.