Google Earth for Maps

Here's a tip for Mapping new Mods.

I was looking on-line for a particular map which I could download and begin some mapping for a new mod. I found a few maps, however, the best solution came from Google Earth!

Zoom into the map area of interest anywhere in the world. Fill your screen with this area. Use the Ruler feature to establish a horizontal distance (you will need this to sync your map scale with your game scale later). Add what ever layers you like (Cities, Terrain, Borders, Shopping Malls :D etc.). Then save the image (under the File Menu - it will saved as a JPEG).

Open the image in MS Paint and adjust the attributes to match your ruler line representing the horizontal distance of your game map. Save it as a *.bmp.

After that, reference the SC2 Map Making Tutorial in the SC2 Extras Folder.

If your don't have Google Earth, go to http://earth.google.com and get the Free Version.

I think it's just great!

Cheers

I used this idea today to make up my Cyprus 1974 mod... worked like a charm.

Sadly the mod keeps crashing on me before I can get to playtest it.

I can thoroughly recommend this method of map creation.

One caveat... the water on google earth is the 'wrong' colour and unevenly coloured... it takes a while to paint over it.