New Scenario in design phase: need input

Howdy folks, I currently touching up and playtesting/balancing a hypothetical scenario.

The date is 1943 and the setting is that Germany managed to do it right; the Russians have been pushed back to the Urals and sued for peace. England has been occupied and the government moved to Canada. The Italians have secured the middle east.

As the scenario starts, the USA is ready to begin offensive operations while Britain and the USSR rebuild their shattered militaries. Meanwhile, although Germany has grabbed many resources and now has Spain on their side, their troops are stretched far too thin and need extensive rebuilding after the Russian campaign.

Meanwhile on the diplomatic front, the Allies need to convince the battered Russian Bear to rejoin the fight (but not too early), and keep other countries such as Sweden and Turkey from joining or helping the Axis. A tough sell when Germany owns Europe!

This is meant to be played as the Allies versus the AI.

Features:

1. Customized bitmap images for units, since the battle starts at 1943 the vehicle images start accordingly. Several custom-made images extend the bitmaps beyond the traditional lvl 5 images; M36B1 Jacksons, King Tigers, the Mouse(!), and more.

2. The conquered part of USSR is treated as a seperate nation, although for practical purposes is the USSR.

3. Most of Honch's outstanding version 8 map is used, with modifications.

4. Variable and fully developed AI.

5. Nations may randomly react to events, so no more human calculator impressions. For example, when an Allied fleet approaches Ireland, they may do nothing, they lean Allied, they may suddenly join the Axis!

6. A twist on partisans. Partisans in some countries that do not cause damage easily, and have a long spotting range... providing intel for Allied invasion forces.

7. Italy can now take the convoys from Middle East and Egypt if they occupy it.

8. Shore bombardment is significantly reduced, but now ships can be upgraded higher.

Anyways, point to this is to ask what the mob wants; what do YOU want in this scenario? Last chance to ask, as it is nearing completion.

Very Interesting! 'Nerd King' , now, what about the French & Norwiegian Resistance helping out with INTEL on German Deployment's?.

If it is put into the game, it should reflect as reasonably possible, as close as...an actuality of what those resistance fighter's did accomplish!.

I personally know very little of what they did for the Allied effort!.

The mpp difference is slanted towards Axis, but not very much. The economies of the Americas have been beefed up reflecting a higher output to deal with a bigger menace. Moreover, at a random point Japan will be defeated in 1945 and the US/UK will recieve plenty of victorious and experienced Pacific forces. Plus, the Germans are going to be spending a lot of time/MPPs rebuilding a weary military.

Also take into account that the Axis have a lot more front to cover than the Allies do.

The Allies should NOT let Turkey join the Axis or allow them to negotiate with Iran for a passageway through the mountains. Then they get a massive MPP boost.

To a point retributer, there is intel provided to the Allied player. As much as the game engine allows (which aint much)

OK, here is the ongoing report of my game with a prototype of the scenario. Settings are AI exp +2, expert setting. Date of start is July 1943, I am Allies. I will update this post as I progress.

July 1943 - Dec 1943:

The British spend a few monthes repairing their shattered navy and what is left of their army and air force. The Canadians and American ground forces present at turn one immediately set sail for West Africa, where they will invade Vichy by land. America throws points into most techs, hoping to get ahead and stay of Germany on the tech curve. Germany diplomacy hits are seen on Portugal and Sweden. In October an intel report states that Germany is negotiating with Persia for a narrow strip of land connecting Russia with Iraq, so I throw some diplomacy chits into Persia to hopefully change their mind.

Meanwhile in the east, things will be quiet for awhile as the Russians eyeball German troops on the Urals with the remaints of their air force, and quietly rebuild their industrial capacity.

The invasion of West Africa goes so-so for the Allies, as they are hampered by bad supply until the capital is captured. However, the Spanish city and an Italian corps in a fortified square just south of Gibraltor put up stiff resistance, aided by a massive and experienced German/Spanish/Italian air fleet based around Gibraltor. The punishing air power destroys two US corps in one turn, and with the Bismarck, Tirpitz, and U-boats hovering outside the port, reinforcements are slow to come. The Allies withdraw until bad weather hits and more air power can be transferred into Africa.

Meanwhile a U-boat battle off the coast of the States and Canada begins, along with harrassment from German bombers stationed in the Azores. If the Allies are going to keep West Africa and get a solid foothold in Europe, they are going to have win the U-boat war and somehow kill the fortified German bomber squadron stationed at the Azores. A joint US/Canadian/British battle fleet departs North America to attack the Azores. A major sea battle is brewing...

And now I go to bed. Will be continued.

June 44:

I dispatch Patton with a medium sized force to travel around South Africa and hit Somalia. A lead force of Indian troops seize a port on the Horn to pave the way.

Meanwhile in the Atlantic, the sudden appearence of TEN German u-boats threatens to cut my North Africa troops off from reinforcements. Even with lvl 3 ASW my cruisers are hard-pressed to keep them at bay.

August 44:

Patton and Platt land in Ethiopa and make their to the capital. I think I'm being sneaky, until my force runs smack into Rommel, the Afrika Korps, and three Italian armies. Oops! Time to make a run for it!

Meanwhile on the Atlantic front Morocco is invaded, I beat back the subs with substantial cruiser damage, I lose a Brit carrier (Doh!), and I take the Azores.

[ October 10, 2006, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Normal Dude ]

Looked for pics of models on the internet. They had to be high res with good lighting, and posed the right way. Then I pasted it into paintshop as a 256 color bitmap, made sure that it was set on transparent background, and then whited-out the background. Then I simply pasted into the 3D units folder.

If anyone has good pics of late-war tanks, ships, airplanes, etc PLEASE send them over, ity is hard to find good pics that translate well into bitmaps!

News from the playtests:

Well, this scenario shall definetely prove to be a departure from the usual game. Naval battles are of MUCH more importance since the Allies will have to fight through and eventually control the Atlantic to make any progress. Consequently, gun laying radar, anti-sub warfare, and carriers have extreme importance and add a whole new element to the battle.

Also, I have made the movement penalty for adjacent enemy units +2, and in cramped conditions this makes things easier for the defender and puts more emphasis on combined land-air firepower. The Allies have to fight through a nasty Axis air cover, the early battle is all about grabbing good naval and air bases from which to launch attacks.

Diplomacy is showing to be an important element as well, in three respects:

1. The USSR is a political tool of sorts for the Allies. Although they start shattered, they eventually rebuild some decent units and industry and force the Axis to watch them carefully. If the Allies put diplo chits in them and up their readiness, the USSR could re-join the fight. A smart Allied player would try to do this at the same time the Western Powers launch an attack, or at least force the Axis to commit diplo chits and troops to cover the increased USSR readiness level.

2. The diplomacy over Turkey and Persia is vital. Turkey starts at 45% Axis and Persia neutral. The Germans will heavily invest in Turkey diplo, and will begin negotations with Persia for a land connection to the Middle East. If the Allies do not counter this with heavy diplo, they could face a connected Africa and Middle East with the Europe mainland... a huge MPP, supply, and operating bonus.

3. Countries are unpredictable at times. The last play-test I ran, I parked an amphib invasion fleet just outside of Casablanca, planning to invade the neutral Vichy territory next turn. This triggered a random script in which the Vichy spotted my imminent invasion fleet and immediately joined the Axis! I had to face a newly-reinforced garrison with Italian troops operated in to bolster defenses. Yikes!

On the naval level, I have made naval units do MUCH less damage to land units, BUT now gun laying radar can be researched up to level 5. Makes for a very interesting naval element, especially now that ASW and carriers are important.

Also, all techs are now much more expensive. The average tech is about 200 MPP, with Motorization a healthy 500. You basically have to spread your tech around unless you really want to pony up the dough and specialize.

Also, here are some new bitmaps, thanks for the links Retributar:

untitledjv8.th.png

Update on the battle:

Allies have taken Tunisia and Tripoli. However, the Germans have obtained the land passage through the caucasus and I am now fighting through the Spanish army past Tripoli. The Afrika Korps and Rommel have been defeated, though not easily. Engineers are busy building fall-back defensive positions in North Africa in case I have to retreat. Supply throughout is terrible because the German airforce is pounding every city and port I own. My own airforce can just barely hold them off.

Meanwhile, the British take Iceland, and then launch an attack on Ireland and take it. The German surface counter-attacks, and rockets from England pound the British Navy.

Sweden and Turkey are close to joining Axis, I am holding them off with diplo. Russia is at 80%, I want to get them in the fight next year and make Germany spread her troops.

The Atlantic is still not secured, damn pesky U-boats are tough to clear out.