Before 1947, under the British, the "official" Indian flag was the Union Jack "defaced" (the official term) by the star of the G.C.S.I. (Grand Commander of the Order of the Star of India) at the center. This was, officially, the flag of the Viceroy, but it came to be used as the Indian flag (although I believe the normal Union Jack was used in practice). And, yes, India was a special case, different from the other possessions.

Originally posted by GĂ©rard Le Poer Trench:

The indian Flag didn't exist for India was a colony of UK and so they had the flag of UK. INDIA ISN'T A FREE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!! it is not like egypt a protectorate but it really is a colony like indonesia for the dutch.

"used by the Provisional Government of Free India"

Just thought you might need a little help. Of course there were flags of India other than that of the British Overlords... I also think the phrase "isn't a free country" may be contested by a few hundred million Indian nationals these days tongue.gif