Saving Map Edits

Yes. As you say, it runs the entire script check. I then can exit and return to see the old map or can exit and play the game and I see the unedited map.

My issue might have something to do with the fact that I am attempting to edit ocean hexes. At the bottom of the tile bmps, there are several ocean hexes that appear exactly the same. I edited them to appear different thinking they likely were just additional "placeholders" and then I was surprised to see that the ocean isn't one of them, but rather is a quilt of all of them. I can edit the map to use the same ocean tile for all full ocean squares yet it isn't saving any of my changes.

Thanks for the explanation Hubert. So, it sounds like there is no way to force a distinction between the "empty" tiles and have it use the ones specified by the editor?

All I was trying to do is mark the convoy routes on the map. By having multiple empty sea tiles, I was putting "dots" on a few of them to mark convoy routes, but they are always randomized as you suggest. I suppose I can use or modify the "arrow" sea tiles as those are maintained. Any other (better) suggestion for accomplish the same thing?

I'm not sure how embedded the randomization function is, but I would recommend putting the random patterns in the scenarios themselves and not have the game randomize it on-the-fly. I can envision several instances where a modder might want to insert a special graphic on a tile that doesn't change its function, but just designates something. For example, a more tactical game might wish to show small towns that do not impact game play but that mark a location just for historical reference purposes. At sea, someone using the engine for a ACW game might want to designate a difference between deep and shallow water and use house rules to designate which boat types were allowed to go into deep water. I don't think you lose anything by applying the randomization to the scenario files and I can see a lot of opportunity to provide additional flexibility.