Victory conditions?

How will these be handled at the conclusion of the game? In other words, will there be specific 'victory conditions' associated with the various campaigns - Capture the city of 'X' at all costs!; Secure the bridge at 'Y' before a certain date etc etc.

OR

Will the game simply add up the points from Flags 'held', casualties inflicted, POWs taken, vehicles destroyed etc., which, whilst important, might seem a bit 'unsatisfying'.

To use a Real World example, what about Operation 'Market-Garden'? I believe Montgomery declared the operation "90 per cent sucessful" - in pure CM terms it may well have been true (!), but in terms of its strategic objectives it was clearly a failure.

Any comments/thoughts?

From what I understand, victory points as we know them in CM will not have much if any meaning.

Who wins will be determined by much more realistic and 'fuzzy' factors. Both sides may conclude they won a battle if they are both happy with the result.

As far as territorial control after a CMBB battle, I think they said that control of the 4 1x1 sector flags in a CMBB 2x2 map determines who holds what 1x1 sector when the battle is over and the forces get spat back out onto the CMC map.

Originally posted by London Calling:

How will these be handled at the conclusion of the game? In other words, will there be specific 'victory conditions' associated with the various campaigns - Capture the city of 'X' at all costs!; Secure the bridge at 'Y' before a certain date etc etc.

As we all know, it is quite possible to have a tactical victory with a strategic loss and vice versa. I would hope for victory conditions such as your example. However, I expect it will be the calculations such as KIA, vehicles lost, flag held. IIRC, this is how victory is determined in the stand alone CM games.

I have to admit I haven't played a CM game in a long while for various reasons. I have forgotten a lot. :eek: The good news, besides saving money on my car insurance, is I'm back! :cool:

I think the question is can you set victory conditions to:

- attacker A must reach town xy within 4 day

- attacker B must move infantery to railwaystation ty

- defender must attacker not let cross forest dz

something like that. it has not much in common with the cmbb victory conditions but for a campaign - it is vital to be able to set different goals!