Cool Stryker-related animated battle sequence

Quality production, that's for sure. Sound, editing, voice acting and art/illustration/effects all top notch. Very limited animation (almost none), but it's so well cut together it feels like live action.

Very nice.

Gpig

The piece of writing behind that sequence was written by Spec. Colby Buzzell.

The National Endowment for the Arts sponsored the "Operation Homecoming" project, creating a collection of soldiers' writing, then bringing the writing together in a book. Buzzell's story was part of that collection.

The Documentary Group, funded by PBS and others, later made some of these writings into a "documentary" film of the same name. It's a strange film. The producers set about dramatizing the stories that are read on-screen, not by re-enacting them, but by animating them, or editing together still image sequences. The Men in Black sequence is one of the better ones, I think. In many of the others, the strength of the imagery overpowers the words, which are the "actuality" here.

The film aired a few weeks ago as part of a PBS series about life after 9/11, America at a Crossroads. There are a few more videos on the PBS site, and the quality is (I think) better than the flash-video-player site's.

The other films that are part of America at a Crossroads are worth viewing.

Heh... I posted the same info last night. I swear I did. Guess I was too tired and forgot to hit the Add Reply button :D

Adding to what Chelt said, the animated one was based on a series of Blog entries made by the author just after the battle he wrote about. This is the same guy that made headlines because the media picked up on it and then the Army realized there were something called Blogs and that their soldiers were using them! So they shut him down just after ("Fear and Loathing in Iraq" was the title of his Blog). I was sad to see it gutted because he was one of the only sources of info on Stryker ops in those early days.

Just yesterday the Pentagon announced it will now be hammering down hard on unauthorized public comments, images, and videos made by troops in the field. Private stuff, no problem, but public stuff now has to go through the chain of command.

Steve