Dumb Mac Question.

Do a search for posts by GibsonM, he's been the most active in updating us Mac users. But here's what I remember of the top of my head:

1) No ETA. My completely wild-ass guess, based on extrapolation from what Gibsonm and BFC have said, is late summer or early fall of this year.

2) My understanding is that you'd only need one copy, because each purchase comes with the right to license CM:SF onto two computers. I don't see why this would change for the Mac version.

Wouldn't an iBook be seriously below the min specs to run the game, though? The Mac specs might be slightly different than the PC specs, but they'll probably be in the same ballpark. IIRC, the last iBooks sold maxed out at a 32MB vid card er sumfink like that. I really don't think CMSF is likely to run on that. Hold on. . . in (3) I see you mention an "Intel iBook." -- Did you actually mean a MacBook? Here in the US, there was never an "Intel iBook" -- they switched to the MacBook name for laptops at the same time they switched to the Intel processor. Or maybe the product labels are different over there across the pond?

3) Steve has made a specific comment on this that was IIRC, to the effect of that they're not going to deliberately make the Mac version so that it *won't* run on pre-Intel Macs, they're also not going to put a heck of a lot of effort into ensuring that it *will* work on pre-Intel Macs since there's not a huge number of pre-Intel Mac out there that will run the game very will, and the number of such computers still in active use gets smaller with each passing month. Based on this, I wouldn't hold by breath for compatibility with your G5. I would also note that for a MacBook, you may need a MacBook Pro -- even more recent MacBooks may not have enough graphics muscle to run the game.

Cheers,

YD

Thanks for that I'll take a look.

gibsonm,

Currently may wife is thinking of keeping her old G4 12" Powerbook with wireless card and using it as the remote drive for the Powerbook Air, rather than buying the add on USB drive.

As it is we should be able to use remote with the iMac and Macbook (not iBook as I typed) as remotes.

The Macbook is a great little machine but it's only a 1.83Ghz core Duo, 2GB 667 Mhz SDRAM with 64MB of shared system memory, so i think it will struggle if it runs it at all.

Time to beg my wife for a nice Birthday present in July... Say a nice alloy 24" 2.8GHz iMac to act as the home hub.

Peter.

I have a feeling that the WhiteBook will run okay. Your CPU and RAM specs aren't exactly anemic, it's just the GPU (that's the ONLY thing I don't like about my Macbook, apart from the bizarre teething issues that *every* MB generation has). You'll just need to turn down the detail, but I suspect that pretty much every non-gaming laptop out there will have to do that in one way or another.

Can't the 950GM squeeze 128MB of system RAM? I thought the 64MB limit was... oh, right, it can get 128 under Windows. The 64 limit is only under OS X. I wonder what the Apple engineers were thinking?

I haven't actively posted on these boards since back in high school/early college (I'm 25 now) in the CMBO era, but news of CMSF and the promise of native Mac OS X compatibility has brought me back! I just want to say that I really appreciate the Battlefront crew's commitment to the Mac platform even with their limited manpower and the various hurdles that Apple has thrown their way (the infamous RAVE debacle).

Originally posted by Phillip Culliton:

Can't the 950GM squeeze 128MB of system RAM? I thought the 64MB limit was... oh, right, it can get 128 under Windows. The 64 limit is only under OS X. I wonder what the Apple engineers were thinking?

That MacBook model only shipped with 512 MB of RAM, so the 64 MB limit on the GMA950 was likely just a trade-off to try to prevent low memory from interfering in things like iTunes, web browsing, etc., given the MacBook's target audience.

gibsonm,

any update on the OS X version now that the 1.06 patch is completed. Has serious coding begun? smile.gif I am having a tough time deciding if I want to hold out for Christmas or even Father's Day to dive in? BTW can you say how 1.06 plays under Bootcamp using XP? I am waiting on the improved demo to try it out......

No change!!!!!!!

I told you I’d tell you when there is something to tell but there isn’t.

Is that clear enough now??????? :rolleyes: $%&%^*$*$^&&*^$(^^@$ :rolleyes:

If you need the game buy a copy of XP Pro and the windows version.

If you only want it, wait.

Your call.

CM:SF 1.06 plays fine on my machine (specs below)

BTW: If you read the post I referenced above you’ll note that it is the one where I’ll post any update (as and when there is one).

I’m not posting the same info to the three or four Mac threads currently scattered around the forum.

So in line with that you wont hear from me again on this one.

Bye.

Sigh, I guess Majors never change tongue.gif Okay, point taken, won't ask again.

Just wanted an update on where CMSF is going now that 1.06 was done..saw the excellent models for the Marine Mod...should be excellent addition. Now if there could be a full blown amphibious assault scenario :D