Radeon 9800 Owners Please

OK, sorry to be a bit persistant in this, but I just spent the last 1.5 hours trying to update my ATI drivers to the CAT 4.10 in hopes I might end up with fog in CMBB. I have the SP2 patch installed in XP, and I first got a message saying that the publisher (ATI) was "unrecognized". Interesting. I proceeded with the install anyways, but it failed partway through, and I had to do a restore, then a reinstall of the 4.7 drivers in order to get any video at all to work. Now, before I take the risk and repeat this little exercise, is anyone here running a Radeon 9800 Pro card with the latest (4.9 or 4.10) drivers, and if so, are they seeing fog (ATI claims they fixed that little problem some time ago and I should update my drivers - hhmmnn)? If they are running those drivers and they are getting fog, I'll try and update one more time. If they are running the latest drivers but NOT seeing fog in CMBB, then I'll leave the drivers where they sit, and as soon as I have a bit of extra cash, I'll go get an NVidia card (yeah I know, graphics aren't as good, but from what I've experienced and heard, they aren't nearly the hassle either).

Many thanks, and sorry to rehash an old subject.

Glenn

Yes sir, I have done that, and all say that fog isn't visible in CMBB with a Radeon card. However, supposedly the 4.10 drivers have fixed some of the fog issues, but ATI weren't (refused?) to be specific about just what was fixed, or how (i.e. they didn't say that they will now show fog in DX9-based sims/games). All I get from them is an automated reply, which isn't helping. Anyway, since 4.10 drivers just came out in the past couple of days, it is unlikely there will be anything that recent in the tech support forum at this point (however, I will double-check again just to be sure).

Thanks for your time and the reference.

Glenn

Yes, I saw that too (regarding the Mac). Unfortunately I can't seem to get ATI to respond directly to my question (automated replies), but from re-reading the posts as you suggested, I'm betting that nothing's been done. I've had numerous other problems with this card as well, so I think I'm going to switch to the NVidia after all. This is my second ATI card, and I've had serious issues with both now. Such is life.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Glenn

Thanks guys. I have had the omega's before and they worked great. Don't know if you get fog or not though since it's still a Radeon card. I think I'll give them a try though, as it'll be about $500 Cdn to replace this card with something equivalent. My next PC sure won't have an ATI in it though (this is only one of my problems). Many thanks again.

Glenn

Can anybody be a little more specific about the supposed worse image quality of NVidia cards?

Some generations ago there might have been something to it, but with the Radeon 9500+ and the GeForce FX 5x00 it seems to be the other way round, with ATI even lying and cheating about their trilinear texture filters (not that I think they matter in CM).

Redwolf; the comparrison you are searching for is that of the ATI 9700 pro compared to that of a Geforce 4 generation card where yes; the ATI 9700 pro did in fact have a better image quality.

Tests now show that in certain games it is the newer Nvidia cards that display the better image in Knights of the Old Republic for example.

You can see that the light sabers are clearly more defined and symetrical than when displayed by compteting ATI cards.

Hope that sheds some light on things.

Redwolf; I recently bought an NV SIlencer heatsink/fan for my Geforce 6800 GT. It is a far more effective cooler than the stock one and is about three times as quiet. I beleive they make them for Geforce 5900's as well if you are interested.

Originally posted by Tim The Enchanter:

Redwolf; the comparrison you are searching for is that of the ATI 9700 pro compared to that of a Geforce 4 generation card where yes; the ATI 9700 pro did in fact have a better image quality.

Tests now show that in certain games it is the newer Nvidia cards that display the better image in Knights of the Old Republic for example.

You can see that the light sabers are clearly more defined and symetrical than when displayed by compteting ATI cards.

Hope that sheds some light on things.

Redwolf; I recently bought an NV SIlencer heatsink/fan for my Geforce 6800 GT. It is a far more effective cooler than the stock one and is about three times as quiet. I beleive they make them for Geforce 5900's as well if you are interested.

I would still like to see a real review with pictures of the supposed inferior image quality of NVidia cards. That has been true in the TNT2 days. But recently it is always ATI screwing up.

Note that image quality very performance is a huge ly complex tradeoff. The texture filters are just the beginning.

Thanks for the ventilator tip. I found a new cooling unit for my 5900XT on newegg. It's 35 bucks but what the hell, if it makes it shut up I'm happy.

Right now I am fighting the problem of having the second 160 GB Maxtor disk taking a dump within one week :mad:

[ November 03, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

The 5900XT has superior image quality to ATI cards as well. In fact, IIRC; the 5900XT was the test bed in which they measured the compteting ATI card up against in the review that I read which contained screen shots of KOTR.

You're learning the same lesson I did with Maxtor. I've had ill fortune with those HDD's in the past. I now use a Western Digital 80gig with 8mb cache.

Simply put it is the best HDD I have ever purchased; so far so good anyway!

OK, been looking around at cards. For CMBB, CMAK (and I'm sure CMBO would be happy) purposes, how about the Asus V9570 GFX-5700 128MB DDR AGP 8X w/TV-OUT, DVI for a card? I can go up to the 256MB memory on the same card, but am not sure how many games would use that extra RAM.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Glenn

Originally posted by Canuckgd:

OK, been looking around at cards. For CMBB, CMAK (and I'm sure CMBO would be happy) purposes, how about the Asus V9570 GFX-5700 128MB DDR AGP 8X w/TV-OUT, DVI for a card? I can go up to the 256MB memory on the same card, but am not sure how many games would use that extra RAM.

I don't think any modern-architecture game can possibly use more than 128 MB memory and still be fast enough on a 5700. That's just not realistic.

The only exception is probably CM where people routineously load gazillions of highres mods and the performance doesn't matter this much. However, since CM offers neither a performance monitor, benchmarks nor any kind of display about the amount of loaded textures this is really hard to establish.

In a word, I am sure 256 MB in a 5700 is a waste. I think the 5900XT 128 MB is the current sweet spot in price-performance. That's what I got recently, anyway.

Anything better I would go right to a 6800 GT with 256 MB.

[ November 03, 2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]