Big online problem

This is a wild guess...

Are you using a software-based modem (i.e. a PCI modem) ? It is possible that CM is just taking up too many CPU cycles for the modem to operate effectively ? If this is the case then you may want to consider getting a hardware-based modem, which are usually ISA or external (and more expensive than the PCI ones).

Do you know exactly what modem you have ? PCI modems are dependent on the CPU to perform part of their function ("software based"). Some modems and their drivers do a better job than others (some brands are notoriously buggy and can't maintain connections for very long). It could be that at a certain point with CM loaded that your modem isn't getting the the CPU cycles that it needs to perform certain functions. It's not completely stopping your modem, but at some point your connection is getting killed.

Anyway, it is just a guess. But it would be an interesting experiment to try an external hardware-based modem (if you had a free serial port) to see what would happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elvis:

I still haven't gotten it to work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The final does seem to consume more resources than the demo-- I had transparent buildings and smoke in the demo, but can't get them in the final. I'm guessing the textures are higher resolution. The sounds are also sampled at higher frequency in the final.

I don't think I am having this problem because of that. I have a P3 500mhz, 128 megs of RAM, 16 meg TNT graphics card. So I have well beyond the system requirements. I wouldn't think it was my modem because it worked fine with both demos.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

Chris,

I tried what you said. When I got to "advanced" there was no choice for v34 but there was a place for "extra settings" so I typed "+ms=v34" in the space and tried again. No luck. It might also help if I explained exactly when it happens. If I am online and open CM I then select anything (play multiplayer or play game" then go to load a game. I see the flags and the 3d loading message and then the game opens to a battlefield. When it opens to a battlefield is when it bumps me off. I agree that it is most likely modem related because it has happened with FOUR different ISPs.

Any other suggestions folks?

------------------

Uh oh an SM56,

Sorry Elvis, those were one of the software-based modems that were truly crappy. I think that Motorola decided to drop the whole line of analog modems a year or two ago.

Do you know what version of the driver that you have (you may be able to tell from the SM56's own control panel) ? Here's the latest software I can find. Follow the instructions on the page for downloading the correct version (Goto Control Panel > Modems control panel > Diagnostics tab > highlight your modem in the list > click the More Info button). The responses that you get back will have the info you need for this page. Any "errors" that you get in response are normal.

Motorola SM56 drivers:

http://www.mot.com/networking/products/sm56_pci_software_modem/drivers.html

Unfortunately, as usual, these may not solve your problem. But if you're lucky they may just work. Again, keep/find an old copy of the current drivers you are using in case the new ones don't work well. Depending on how these drivers work, you may have to setup your ISP connections again if the modem is "identified" differently.

Also, download and run the "PCI cleaner" listed at the bottom of the page BEFORE you install the latest driver. This will remove all traces of the previous modem driver (so find that copy of the old driver somewhere before doing this).

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-02-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

It's not the answer you want to hear....

I'd suggest getting a hardware-based rather than a software-based modem. Then your communications will not be so dependent on CPU cycles in order to maintain the connection (on software-based modems the flow control is usually performed in software running on the CPU).

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-15-2000).]

Schrullenhaft, Thank you again for your response. I understand that a hardware based modem should take care of this problem but there are tons of people playing this game with software based modems that aren't having this problem. So I feel it has to be more than I should just get a hardware modem.

------------------