Fast or Quick?

As far as I can determine the only difference between the Fast and Quick movement commands is that units using Fast tire vastly sooner. Out of curiosity, I set two platoons on a race across a wide map. The Fast dudes went rapidly from Tiring to Tired, finally defaulting to the yellow Quick line. The Quick unit never tired at all. They arrived at the finish line at the same time. Is there an Exhausted state? Mystery....

I did a few experiments with ths a while back. I set up a 'racetrack' style map and gave the units in each track different orders. the Quick units arrived at the finishing line at the same time as the Fast units but in better condition. I haven't tried this yet but perhaps the TAC AI will handle the unit differently if it has a Quick or Fast order with respect to reacting to threats. Perhaps the Fast moving units will carry on regardless while the Quick moving units will become aware of the danger more quickly. 100% pure speculation mate.

Oh, and yes, there definitely is an exhausted state. Quick moving units definitely tire. Either decrease their fitness or increase the heat or the distance of their run and you'll definitely see them tire. That affects spotting too.

Yes, there is an Exhausted state, though the name may be slightly different; I don't remember. All I remember is that there's something beyond Tired. I encountered it when I accidentally ordered an AT team carrying a Javelin to crawl (i.e., "Slow") a long distance -- 100 meters or so.

Interestingly, they actually made it the entire distance, and didn't stop crawling. They weren't good for much for a while when they got there, though.

Well if Fast becomes Quick, but only after they tire, then does that mean that Fast is (err) faster over short distances? I would have thought that Fast would be good for short moves where you aren't likely to be shot at.

I'd test, but I can't right now - unless I can get CMSF on an iPhone ;)

• 5 months later...

There is so little difference in speed (if any) for foot units using Fast and Quick that I seriously suspect a bug. I never use Fast any more. Unfortunately, the TacAI sometimes changes my Quick orders to Fast if a unit comes under fire.

I cannot think of a single logical explanation for one unit tiring more rapidly than another when both are moving at essentially the same speed. I can understand that some infantry units may be so weighted down by armour and equipment that they can't really go any faster than they are already going - but in that case they should tire out just as quickly with either move command.

The manual reports the differences between FAST & QUICK for troop units as affecting likelihood of returning fire, stopping to engage a spotted unit, spotting and awareness ability, changes to direction etc. Rather than governing actual speed.

EDIT - I just ran a few quick tests and whilst the results aren't startlingly obvious there is a slight difference in awareness and determination to get to the last waypoint between QUICK and FAST units. Also spotting is marginally better when QUICK'ed rather than FAST. This is slightly more noticeable when units are given a cover arc - FAST units are less likely to spot than QUICK

FAST vs. QUICK behavior has been tweaked in the upcoming patch so you will see more differences. From what I recall (this went into a beta some time ago), there was no bug as such, but the problem was that the weight calculations for US soldiers negated most of the "benefits" of Fast vs. Quick. Besides speed alone, some additional behavior has been introduced now, too, e.g. soldiers stop and fire then continue moving (but less so when moving FAST), soldiers do not reload when moving FAST etc.

There is still no HUGE difference between the two, but it's going to be more noticeable when the patch/Marines module are out.

Also according to the manual, one should use FAST to "have a squad sprint across an open road from one building to another, making sure that they do not slow down to return fire". None of the two features mentioned there work yet, hopefully they will after the patch.

Also according to the manual, one should use FAST to "have a squad sprint across an open road from one building to another, making sure that they do not slow down to return fire". None of the two features mentioned there work yet, hopefully they will after the patch.

That's odd coz the tests I ran yesterday were based on that surmise and it seemed to work, just not very obviously. Still as Charles said, upcoming patch will be able to see a greater difference. Nice one Charles, cheers for that.