Attacking AI's eventual loss of interest in the objective

The new AI plans for scenario editing are pretty awesome when they work. It allows the AI to move as a group, cautiously, and engage as they are engaged. A far cry from CMX1's suicidal and relentless stream of AI jihads. It can actually be a challenge now.

However, a lot of people have been stating that the AI is passive. I don't think they're passive, so to speak, but they refuse to move after a certain point.

The first scenario on the list (name escapes me, two stryker companies and redfor gets IED's) is a good example of this. The first half of the battle the AI will move up pretty cautiously. Honestly I don't think a normal human could do any better, other than maybe area firing on suspected positions. But after about 3/4th's battle, when the AI gets a chance to make a run for the objective, he just halts. He creeps a stryker or two up near the end, but the mission ends as a major for me.

The current mission I'm doing now is the same way. 65 turns, big city scenario, I forget the name but it has a lot of armor in it. At first they move up pretty damn good - keep with their platoon, move up inch by inch and eliminate threats as they approach them. I even tried sneaking a tank around to flank them but they had pretty fair coverage.

I have 40 turns left and they won't budge. They've stayed in the same position for the past 10 turns or so, when, with what they have, they could pretty much destroy me (their initial arty strike nailed the objective and took many combatant lives). It's just odd.

What causes this exactly? Is it something we should look out for when planning with the AI in scenario editor?

Hi

Could you tell me the name of the scenarios? This sounds like an AI plan error - one of the time bands being out. Easily fixed, and several of the scenarios had this fixed before the game was released, so could be the fixed scenarios never made it. Then again could just be an AI plan glitch pure and simple i.e. designer error.

Cheers fur noo

George