Idea for setup zones in CMx2

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I find the setup zones of CMx1 too limited in flexibilty.

As it is now you have three setup zones that can't exchange units from one setup zone to the other. It's only possible to deploy units that start outside a setup zone in all three zones. This is IMHO too inflexible.

A better alternative would be primary setup zones and secondary ones. Units starting in the primary setup zone may only be moved within that setup zone. But units in a secondary setup zone would be allowed to place in their secondary zone AND the primary zone.

Why?

Say you have a platoon forward of the main defensive line. Ideally you'd want to be able to rearrange their deployment to your liking within the forward secondary setup zone. But it'd be nice if you would be allowed to retreat them to the primary setup zone to reinforce the main defence line during setup. Currently this can't be done unless they are the same setup zone, which the designer might very well not want as it would also allow the player to setup in the forward position with all his units. A trick you might be able to do is to set up two setupzones and setting the forward units outside either of them. Thus the player can place them in either setupzone at will while still locking the main body of troops to the setup zone they started in.

Now, the latter might come very close to what I am suggesting anyway, but plays havoc with options like starting with scenario default deployment. The units that were designed to start would start in their neutral area and not the setupzone the defender might have in mind for them. Or if the designer puts neutral squares in the forward setup zones then whilst you'd get very close to what I intend, those neutral squares where units start out from become unavailbe to move units around in, which can be a hassle for any fine tuning of the positions of those units. Maybe a small hassle to some but since most effort goes into a setup then any other turn it's worth exploring every idea that might enhance the experience.

With a system of primary and secondary setup zones the designer has more options and freedom to give to the player upon setup whilst not compromising any of his design ideas. And with the many clever scenario designers out there I expect they could use it to create legions of scenarios where they could use this new system to create really interesting setup options.

Sorry, never was good at explaining ideas. Ofcourse feel free to ask questions, add suggestions or criticism.

[ December 06, 2005, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Elmar Bijlsma ]

I wouldn't be surprised if the setup zones in CMx2 are more IN-flexible! BFC mentioned something about more complex instruction during scenario buildings to perhaps allow assigning different objectives and formation march orders (speculating here from distant recollections). That might imply that CMx2 zones could be tied to some pretty strict behavioral rules.

Then again, CMx1-style setup zones might very well be a thing of the past, too. We need more bones! :D