Black and Ghost Recon: Future Warrior as idea sources and what not to do

Troops,

I've recently had the opportunity to watch the former (at max difficulty) and play a bit of the latter on the X-Box. Several things stood out.

Black

Intensity's unbelievable (friend said "nearly had a heart attack'), made moreso by the deformable terrain (be careful what you use for cover!). RPG fire's scary. Opponents seem harder to kill than should be the case given some of the weapons used (how many times can a head endure a .308?) The terrain is gritty and realistic, but its utility is greatly marred by the complete absence of character ability to jump, climb other than ladders or stairs, or to go prone. Worse, the friendly troop AI is awful, and there's no provision for issuing orders to your own men.

Ghost Recon:FW

Lots of great techno features (including manportable recon drone, satellite feed), but also marred, not least by VO pratting which doesn't contribute anything to the mission. Info window appears smack dab over your weapon sight in the middle of a full blown attack on your position! No prone mode in X-box game, but is in the 360.

No jumping or climbing in this one, either. Really hate that elite forces can't do routine

infantry actions, let alone special ones! No provision seen for issuing orders to other friendly forces. Was playing cooperatively with my friend. Helmet mounted threat display symbology repeatedly obscured targets during firefights. Not good!

Use of cover has clever peek out feature. Sniper weapons are gutted by absence of bipod, bracing on an object, steady stance, etc. Optics modeling takes a 1000 meter plus weapon down to less than 100 meters, compounded by absence of variable zoom/usable range of magnifications. Time and again, I went

from 2x (couldn't really see) to 8x (way too much mag and consequent loss of situational awareness).

Sight image stabilization is a bear. Supposedly,

there's a way to hold your breath and steady the crosshairs, but we never found it (X-Box 360? only). Got so bad I stuck to the battle rifle.

This isn't complete by any means, but I believe much of use, both good and bad, could be learned from those games. There seems to be a great lepa backwards setting in game designers. Star Wars Battlefront did many things better than either of these games, and going prone was there from the beginning.

Thoughts?

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Ghost Recon:FW

Lots of great techno features (including manportable recon drone, satellite feed), but also marred, not least by VO pratting which doesn't contribute anything to the mission. Info window appears smack dab over your weapon sight in the middle of a full blown attack on your position! No prone mode in X-box game, but is in the 360.

No jumping or climbing in this one, either. Really hate that elite forces can't do routine

infantry actions, let alone special ones! No provision seen for issuing orders to other friendly forces. Was playing cooperatively with my friend. Helmet mounted threat display symbology repeatedly obscured targets during firefights. Not good!

Use of cover has clever peek out feature. Sniper weapons are gutted by absence of bipod, bracing on an object, steady stance, etc. Optics modeling takes a 1000 meter plus weapon down to less than 100 meters, compounded by absence of variable zoom/usable range of magnifications. Time and again, I went

from 2x (couldn't really see) to 8x (way too much mag and consequent loss of situational awareness).

Sight image stabilization is a bear. Supposedly,

there's a way to hold your breath and steady the crosshairs, but we never found it (X-Box 360? only). Got so bad I stuck to the battle rifle.

Are these two different games on the Xbox and the 360? Cause most of these complaints are not there in the 360 game. Info window popping up in mid screen? No. Jumping? Well, you can jump over obstacles. If you want "bunny jumping", head on over to Quake. Control over other friendly forces? Yes. And yes, there is a command to steady the sniper rifle, but I don't remember what. It is readily explained during gameplay, however.

smile.gif

Aha, I just checked the review at Gamespot, and the Xbox version got a mediocre review score while the 360 version got a stellar review. Huge differences in the two games, apparently, and the reviewer pointed out the same flaws that you did. I'm happy I played the 360 version smile.gif

As was mentioned above, the Xbox and 360 versions are actually very different. So much so, that they used different developers to code them. Unfortunately, I only have an original Xbox so I was less than impressed with Future Warrior. I had heard good things about it which is why i bought it, but those opinions were apparently based only on the 360 version...

To be honest, I think I only ever played it one time then went back to Black, which I like a lot, although it is kinda short and some of the levels are made harder (more frustrating) because of the crappy "checkpoint" save system.

Of course when I really want a challenge, I simply play HALO 2 and only use the energy sword...

Madmatt