Improvements

track

Hello

I was testing CM2 when it was beign developed. (known as Thorne back then).

After a LOT of games, this is what I found missing:

- Night fighting --> illumination rounds and flares. WWII night combat cannot do without them

- Horses and motorcycles

- Tanks which suffer a crewloss and gun damaged results just won't fire their MG's no matter what. Even that only 1 crew member is actually killed.

- Artillery barrages should tear down and splinter trees

- Commisars for Russians

- Better animations and visual effects (eye candy)

- Officers seem to be always last ones to die. At least snipers should go after officers first. Now it seems that in a HQ it is always the highest ranking who is the last one to be killed

CM2? You mean CMBB?

A few observations, if I may:

Night fighting - Illumination and flares are vital for any kind of nightfighting since the start of the 20th century. being able to fire on muzzle flashes is also essential. Having the former and not the latter would still be unrealistic, but vice versa is not.

Horses and Motorcycles - are these really a regular feature of tactical, company to battalion fights?

Tanks suffering crew casualties and/or gun damage usually bailed out, rather than stayed inside. The only common exception is where the commander was shot by a sniper. In CM, this makes little difference, but IRL that tank would be severely affected.

Deformable terrain is in, so we may well see reduction of tree cover by artillery.

Commissars for the Russians. Why?

Eye candy? As a beta tester, you would surely be privy to the reasons for the CM engine's limitations on graphics that everyone else on the board is?

Officers: The HQs are often too hard to kill, but the officer being the last man standing? Does it make one iota of difference? It certainly didn't in CMX1.

Were you really a beta tester? The ones I've met were able to string up a much better set of arguments. Indeed, sometimes it was hard to stop them.

Originally posted by track:

[QB] Hello

I was testing CM2 when it was beign developed. (known as Thorne back then).

After a LOT of games, this is what I found missing:

- Horses and motorcycles

Why?

- Artillery barrages should tear down and splinter trees
The trees on the map were not a 1:1 representation...

- Commisars for Russians
What ingame effects would they have? I don't see a need for them.

- Better animations and visual effects (eye candy)
Umm...have you read any of the posts on this board in the last 5 years or so? Just wondering cause, it's not like you're the first guy to bring this up or anything.

- Officers seem to be always last ones to die. At least snipers should go after officers first. Now it seems that in a HQ it is always the highest ranking who is the last one to be killed
Again, not really a 1:1 representation; chains of command were simplified. Purportedly being addressed in the next engine. Stand by...

Originally posted by Sergei:

That being the only point of these that I might support. I mean, horses and motorcycles... he forgot anti-tank dogs!!! :mad:

Ah yes, the Homer Simpson invention of WWII...

The dogs were employed by the Soviet Union during World War II, to be used against German tanks. Unfortunately, the Soviets trained the dogs by placing food under their own tanks; consequently, in battle the dogs were as likely to run beneath a friendly tank as they were to attack the enemy. Also, the dogs were reluctant to run towards an active tank, and as such became a menace to everyone on the battlefield. In 1942, after dogs forced an entire Soviet tank division into retreat, dog mines were withdrawn from use.

Yes it is true that I have been away from these forums for some time. But I do have those test versions of CMBB. Not that I even for nostalgy's sake would use them to crash my computer with ;)

If someone would give me my old password, since I have changed my e-mail account and lost all old mails.

Let me explain little what I was suggesting so you would see why I'm requesting these changes since CMBB and CMAK.

- Night fighting --> illumination rounds and flares. -> pretty obvious. Since none had night vision gear in wide use. (Gernans had some active IR testing I belive). Burning terrain, vehicles and buildings should illuminate their surroundings too.

- Horses and motorcycles --> If you have trucks towing guns, men and stuff around horses should be there too.

Finnish army used horses to tow artillery, ammo and supplies. Finnish army was relying extensively on horses during WWII. How are you ever planning to do any Pacific stuff or Poland 39 without horses? Russians had cavalry units in active service too. Want to see a foto of Russian cavalry charging a village in 1942? Eastern Europe was still back in 30's and 40's mostly agricultural society. Anyone could take care of a horse, but a few could fix a car.

With motorcycles I do not mean that you should have "motorcycle cavalry". They should be treated for example like skis are in CMBB. Recon elements could move around very fast until they come into contact with the enemy.

- Tanks which suffer a crewloss and gun damaged results just won't fire their MG's no matter what. --> If I was in a damaged tank I would fire like hell at any enemy infantry near by. Defensive firing should be permitted. Now tank just sits there even that MG's are manned and funtional. Tank still takes movement orders normally, but won't fire.

- Artillery barrages should tear down and splinter trees --> certainly affects line of sight and movement.

- Commisars for Russians -> Execute officer and thus rally near by troops. The way it worked in ASL.

- Better animations and visual effects (eye candy)-> time has marched on since CMBB and CMAK so the expectations are higher.

- Officers seem to be always last ones to die. ->

As I said, an unrealistic way of treating things. It makes snipers next to useless. They were trained to kill officers and other key personnel.

And most important of all, do not abandon the realistic approach which made Combat Mission so exceptional:)

You want the realistic approach, and commissars?

Tanks having taken hits and remaining fully operational? If the commander is killed, the tank remains buttoned (in reality, they'd switch places to keep a commander) so flex MGs are unavailable. Coax and bow mounts will still fire.

If the tank is gun damaged, this can also mean that the turret is jammed, so the coax is useless.

Gun damaged

We've covered the officer thing already. In CMX1, it makes absolutely no difference who in the HQ unit gets hit. command functions as long as the HQ exists and is not panicked.

- Better animations and visual effects (eye candy)-> time has marched on since CMBB and CMAK so the expectations are higher.
Are you sure that your name isn't "Mr State the Bleeding Obvious"?

- Night fighting --> illumination rounds and flares. -> pretty obvious. Since none had night vision gear in wide use. (Gernans had some active IR testing I belive). Burning terrain, vehicles and buildings should illuminate their surroundings too.
As above, but also note that all that would be largely pointless unless you can also target muzzle flashes.

Horses, mules etc. were rarely used tactically - the vast majority of time they were for strategic mobility. See the thread of tank overruns for Steve of battlefront's views on including occasional andoutlier events.

Read the synopsis thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=000124

And you're assuming that it will be WWII. This will not necessarily be the case.