Quick Battle Update?

Frenchy

I am finding that this feature is still pretty much unplayable. I keep trying in various combinations but find that:

Cannot deploy troops just move during set up (happens in most cases not all).

Cannot see deployment areas - if they exist.

The screen prior to deploying troops is worhtless since it offers no information other than "commander's intent". A synopsis of the parameters as a reminder would be nice.

I've even tried using the user created maps but it doesn't seem to help.

Has there been any work or will there be any time spent in improving the QB part of the program?

I thoroughly enjoyed the QB in the previous versions of CM1 - having this feature in CM2 in its current condition is a disappointment.

Yes, register at CMMODS.com and download the various Quick Battle Maps. Depending on which maps you use there's a choice of map sizes or large maps with a choice of force size. These have greatly improved my enjoyment of the game.

Search the Modding forum for threads with Mishga or MarkEzra for more details and how to install.

With all the great work the map builders did, I still find it a crap shoot as far as getting a good QB. They have increased the odds of getting a good set up, but its still the lottery. I basically have stopped even trying to play QBs. Right now I just build my own hotseat scenarios using the new maps to check how things are working in the game.

Frenchy: I'm afraid, as it stands that there's no way for you to choose the particular map that you want to play one except by moving all the other maps of the same type into a back-up folder. I would hope that the ability to choose the map to play on will become a feature in a future module or even a patch.

Most of the maps that came with the game are 'broken' so you should definitely move these out. The QBG maps all have QBG in the titles so you shouldn't have a problem seperating them. However, there is one stock city map that's a real beauty and I changed the AI plans myself to make it a really challenging map.

One way to get a good challenge is to make an attack map but give the attacking side a defensive AI plan and then attack them with the 'defending' force. That's hard!

Unless you're playing in closed terrain, ie city, defending in a village, forest etc, don't pick Syrian Infantry, choose the mech infantry or the Republican Guard units. Be careful if playing as Red with these same forces that you don't pick Stryker infantry as an opponent as the AI infantry can't use their javelins and you can win very easily with just one or two tanks. Been there, done that a couple of times and I hated it.

You can still have a lot of fun with the QBs as they stand and making your own maps is a good way to learn about the scenario editor and programming the AI. The scenario editor is like a game in itself.