Hugging walls and covering corners

Chelco

Take a look at this screenshot (pardon the jaggies).

Corners1.JPG

The 3-men team in the forefront was pulling overwatch for other 3-men team in the background (near the cursor) when they spotted an insurgent team moving along a side street (far background). The insurgents were killed (black mass in the far background) by the overwatch team.

What I really liked from these 10 seconds of action was the ease of moving the background 3-men team along the main street but just short of the corner and how none of the men made anything goofy as exposing into the danger zone/line of fire.

Also, is it me or in general infantry is doing a better job "hugging the walls" (see the men in the main street against the wall)?

[ December 15, 2007, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Chelco ]

Wolf, yeah, it is now possible to move whole squads (not just small teams as in the screenie above) across urban terrain with far less pain than before. Big improvement.

athkatla: LOL. I've seen more cliping into the walls but not crawling through them. Was it near a door?

Originally posted by Chelco:

Wolf, yeah, it is now possible to move whole squads (not just small teams as in the screenie above) across urban terrain with far less pain than before. Big improvement.

athkatla: LOL. I've seen more cliping into the walls but not crawling through them. Was it near a door?

No, it wasn't a building wall they were hugging, just a wall.

I get mixed results with the corners of 'Tall Walls' on one of my test maps. At the first corner, only two soldiers hunted around the corner and destroyed the (Red) sniper team that was lying in ambush. At the second corner several members of the squad 'overshot' and were killed without returning fire. A corner with a whole (Red) squad in ambush behind it proved to be impossible to overcome. I notice that soldiers administering 'buddy aid' expose themselves to fire while doing so. Probably even realistic ...

I shall throw in some buildings and see if there is different behavior coded for building corners.

Best regards,

Thomm

Ey Thomm,

Those results, using whole squads?

I tend to split squads in MOUT, but I was thinking of not doing it anymore since the behavior at corners in 1.05 is way better than before. I noticed that the results also depend a lot on how the team arrives to the corner (perpendicular or parallel to the wall).

And to athkatla: yesterday I saw that too.

Cheers,

Originally posted by Chelco:

Those results, using whole squads?

Excuse me, what are you referring to specifically?

If they really pull off 'peeking around corners', at least in 'Hunt' mode, this game could surpass even most FPSs ... and I see a move in this direction!

Best regards,

Thomm

After some more testing, I am not convinced any more that there is *specific* behavior coded for corners. It still seems to be a matter of overshooting or not.

Certainly, there is no 'peeking around corner' behavior present.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong, but this is what I see so far.

Best regards,

Thomm

Hi Thomm,

Have you noticed that if your troops arrive to the corner on "quick"/"fast" orders they tend to be more spread (and thus overshooting) than if they arrive of "hunt" orders?

Or am I hallucinating? smile.gif

You are right, there is no peek around the corner feature, but at least they stay closer to it now.

Cheers,