First Campaign Mission

The first campaign mission in RT, trying to get tanks over those burms and keep face forward is just impossible. Tanks climb up to the top of the burm, then just dance around until they get hit! No matter how many baby steps foward in a straight line you give them they just can't seem do it. This mission truly shows how bad pathfinding really is. :(

I haven't seen pathfinding this bad sense the Close Combat, if fact I think pathfinding is better in Close Combat, at lease they know how to back up without going sideways.

Have you seen the other posts on this topic. Have you looked at the gradient of that slope. Check the tac map.

The berms are a barrier, you have a way up, but no way down.

Ergo OMG OMG OMG OH NOES is actually... the pahtfinding isn't broken in that respect.

You go down the highway. The flat bit, the saddle in the berm,intended for traffic.

As Ren would say...

There certainly is a pathfinding issue.

The OP is quite right. Various vehicles will skyline themselves on the berm and get shot up even when you plot a course for them on the opposite side of the approach. On top of that, the gaps in the berm are not recognized as gaps by the vehicles (or by the camera from certain angles) and the AI will show its ass to the enemy after meandering aimlessly and uncommanded along the ridge.

There sure as sh*t is a pathfinding issue.

If you set a really hideously stupid way point the AI won't read your mind. Simple work around, set better waypoints, it's not very hard.

The other thing I've found is issue a face command. The tank might get on a bit of an angle on the way up, but will get on more of an angle dancing around your waypoints. Use the face command and your problems will vanish.

The issues with pathfinding are in urban areas, or in short hop waypoints where turning circles become involved and their are lots of small obstacles or marginal passages.

Originally posted by Bahger:

There is a pathfinding issue for as long as any vehicle gets up on the berm uncommanded. It's beyond dispute, IMO; the pathfinding in this game is disastrous.

I've played that mission 3 times and had absolutely no problems with path finding regarding the berm. There are other path finding issues that I have encountered (moving through gaps in walls seems a lottery at times). However, the more I play the more my commands seem to alleviate them. For instance I now leave more space between vehicles and plot turns with more waypoints than I started with. I'm sure that future patches and increased awareness of the best way to plot commands will improve things but it's not unplayable as it is.

The berms are a barrier, you have a way up, but no way down!
Not true, you can get units down, if they don't stop to do their little dance! In the First Gulf War Units went over and through the berms, not around them. If the enemy knew you were just gona come down the street all they would have to do is point all of there AT assets at anything comming down the street.

I don't know about you dude, but last time i checked how you deal with a berm, it involves a bulldozer.

The gradients are just too steep. A proper berm needs engineers. A small berm, sure you can drive an AFV over it, although have you ever been inside an M113 when it finds a sharp depression ?

pad162,

The berms in GW1 were small, due to the insurgency in Iraq, bulldozers were used to increase the size greatly. Also, there are two berms, you are between them. The terrain is based on actual photos and google earth.

As for the commands, yep, you are plotting straight across. This is wrong, play near the road but stop short of it so you aren't shot at, the place waypoints to make the turn.

Rune