IEDs, mines, booby traps, etc

JasonC

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JasonC's post is interesting, but reminds me why this game still fails to really pull my trigger--I think "ambush and flee past the IED" scenarios would get dull pretty quick. And yeah, I know, there are lots of other possible scenarios, but all the chatter on this forum is focused on MOUT settings, and if that is the focus of the game I personally will probably lose interest after a certain number of iterations.

Jason does have some good ideas on how to implement IED in CMSF--it will be interesting to see how BFC does it.

I think MOUT will be the focus of the campaing. But you can play the '44 Italy type of QB just fine. Even if the campaing isn't really interesting to you, it will still be better than the CMAK campaing was, right? And there _will_ be interesting quick battles ahead. Don't like playing US vs Syrians? Just play US vs US, or better jet, wait for the addons and play US vs France...

While resaerching something elese came accross this information. Source "Nothing Over Us" History of 2/6th Infantry Battalion.

Talking about "daily routine" in late 1944 in the jungle against Japanese.

"On arrival at a new position we would immediately deploy small standing patrols a few hundred yards down any tracks leading into our position. Then work would start on clearing fields of fire, laying of booby traps and the digging of weapon pits."

When I was doing my training at the Royal Military College Duntroon in 1991 this was almost exactly the same procedure, however the "booby traps" had been replaced by trip flares and claymore mines.

We recognise Jungle and Urban terrain as "Complex terrain". The paraphrased definition of which is when the terrain is such that engagements occur within the effective range of your weapons. Ie you haven't had enough warning to actually redeploy weapon systems to meet a specific threat.

My point being IED's are not a new phenomenon, and historically they appear most in "complex terrain" rather than open engagements.

Cheers

Rob

Interesting find Rob!

Actually Ive mentioned this in another thread and it inspired me to do a bit of searching through the books I have here for a document I remember reading, which I found. It seemed the Germans werent against improvising with timed explosive devices, either smile.gif

For those interested, check out this link below

German use of Explosive Devices

Dan

[ October 12, 2005, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Good to catch up with you too Rob, and thanks again for a fascinating day...hehe, its amazing to see weapons and equipment like that on display in such a way smile.gif !

Next time your up this way we will certainly have to work out a time to sit down and have a chat over a couple of beers.

Dan

PS: just to double check, you did get my email okay a couple of days ago? Had a couple of ISP problems in the last week is all smile.gif

If we model IED's, we'll also have to model the countermeasures...so they won't always work, but then again, the countermeasures may not either. Who sets up the odds? The scenario designer can designate any set of probabilities either way but to make it feel right, the data would have to come from the real world, one would think.

This is indeed a real can of worms. Ineresting, but still worms. Such is reality, however.