Does CM run on windows NT?

joeski

I'm a NT begginer and was wondering if this works at all. Thanks.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Guest Madmatt

Combat Mission requires DirectX 6.1 or higher to run. Windows NT 3 and 4 only have IIRC DX 2.

Many people have tried to get it to work (even with the special hacked DX 6 files) and all failed.

Combat Mission works on the following Microsoft OS's:

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows 2000 (All versions including Advanced Server but you will need updated Direct X Drives for your video card)

Windows ME

We have done no official testing with Whistler yet and since that's not even official in Beta yet we probably won't for quite some time.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-24-2000).]

• 1 year later...

Toran,

Matt means NT 4.0 it will not run on. In order to get it to work on Windows NT 4.0, the "patch"

would have to come from Microsoft to the Operating System, and since Windows 2000 and Windows XP is out, the chance of that happening is zero and none. CMBO does work with Windows 2000 [NT] as Matt said above and Windows XP you can look at any odf the threads where I answered that.

Rune

No.

Not until Microsoft decides that they want to update NT's capabilities to support AGP natively and DirectX 6.1+.

Read: Not gonna happen.

Windows 2000 and now XP (which Madmatt referred to as Whistler above) are the current products that Microsoft intends to replace NT with (or hopes that businesses will do so). Outside of certain browser (which are generically applicable to all of the Windows OS's) and system-level patches oriented towards servers you're probably not going to see any updates to NT.

There's no way to patch CM to support NT since the latest version of DirectX that it supports is DirectX 3. All of the graphics routines would have to be changed in order to be compliant with this much older version of DirectX. NT also lacks native AGP support, so it treats AGP video cards as PCI devices, which can restrict their texture-bandwidth and other issues. Microsoft never really intended NT to support mainstream 3D games, which is evident by them not porting DirectX 5 and later to NT, but only to Win9x - the consumer OS.

If you want the stability of NT and you want to play games then Microsoft has pretty much dictated that you need to upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP (Windows 2000 video drivers may be slightly faster than what will be available for XP for awhile).

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

Thanks for the feedback. I'm fine at home, but was hoping to get some playing time in at work. And I know they aren't upgrading OS's anytime soon here at work - won't even buy us calendars for next year ... 'please Mr. Scrooge, just one more lump of coal...'

Thanks again.