No way to dig in?

Guest Guest

Originally posted by AdamL:

I hope I'm just daft, but I can't find a way to dig in my troops at all.

I know there are trenches in the editor, but those everyone can see from turn 1.

How does this work now?

Modern troops don't do much digging anymore unless it is a fixed defensive work they intend to occupy for a while

In a war like a fictional Syria war the movement would be so fast that there would be no 'digging' unless it was done prior to the war by the Syrians or during the occupation phase

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

What kind of hole are you thinking of. A real foxhole takes several hours. I think the troops are assumed to be making scrapes and finding cover if they sit for a while. At least they were in CMx1.

One properly motivated man in average ground (dirt, no roots or rocks) can dig a chest deep hole in about an hour.

There is no digging in CMX2, but then again, there wasn't any in CMX1 either. It's Combat Mission, not Shovel Mission.

CM simulates the action after the prepatory bombardment and before the mopping up and consolidation...the assault phase, in other words. No digging during the game.

Originally posted by AdamL:

Um, what? It takes like 30 minutes to prepare a hole.

So basically all covert defensive works are out? LOL

30 minutes?

A proper foxhole takes a very long time

A trench takes the better part of a day doing it by hand and the planning taking into consideration LOS, tying it into exsisting trenchs and checking approaches

The entire time I was in the army I think I dug or helped dig a total of two holes

Most of the time in Afganistan when we stayed in one place it was fortified base camps with pre dug holes, wire, fall back posistions and assuming anything was in the way like small hills and trees those were cleared away for fields of fire.

We had engineers to do anything larger than a group of foxholes for a squad

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

What kind of hole are you thinking of. A real foxhole takes several hours. I think the troops are assumed to be making scrapes and finding cover if they sit for a while. At least they were in CMx1.

One properly motivated man in average ground (dirt, no roots or rocks) can dig a chest deep hole in about an hour. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'm not talking about building the Maginot Line, wiring in a company defensive position, overhead cover or grenade sumps. All moot, since none of it from shell scrapes (what Adam is describing) to trench systems are "diggable" in the game.

Michael,

I know, but I haven't been able to bait you all day.