M128 problem

Do the Stryker M128s (with the big guns) auto-reverse? I was playing a well known scenario and found my force, consisting of M128s and M126s abreast confronting a platoon of T72. The M126s, sighting the beasts, backed up smartly behind the hill to the rear. The M128s stood in place and and tried to duke it out with the Syrians. Who destroyed them one by one.

Auto-reversing occurs according to the logic of each individual vehicle. I'm sure that if the M128s started taking heavy tank fire but weren't hit they would also auto-reverse. However, it would be silly for them to auto-reverse just on the sight of enemy T-72s because sometimes they are required to fight enemy armour even though this isn't their primary function.

Does that make sense? Sometimes you do have to micro-manage your units even with the improved vehicle Tac-AI.

-FMB

It's a complex behavior. I've seen M128 pop smoke and back up in the face of some threats, but not others. Haven't figured out the pattern yet. They're definitely very nervous about enemy infantry getting too close. Just this weekend, I had an M128 pop smoke and reverse when the only incoming fire was from a 12.7mm MG team at about 400m. Evidently the crew didn't like the 12.7mm rounds denting their pretty ride. . .

But anyway, depending on available ammo and the exact model of T-72 in question (there's a big difference in the effective armor protection between various T-72 models), the M128s have a decent chance of KOing a T-72, even head-on. So it may be that the TacAI is "deciding" that it's best chance for survival is to stay where it is and shoot, rather than run.

But given your experience, perhaps the TacAI needs to be tweaked a bit. Just be careful what you wish for; if the M128s are made too "chicken", then they'll be backing off engagements where you really need them to fire on enemy armor.

Cheers,

YD

YD is right. This was addressed in the last patch I believe, that a unit won't retreat from something it is engaging.

I think that is still a good change, but maybe it could use further tweaking.

The other issue is that these vehicles are not designed to duke it out with armour, when playing that scenario (I play WEGO too), I used shoot and scoot tactics too ensure a slugfest did not ensue. My MGS still died though :( .

The T72Ms emerged from a woods on a hill, taking the group by surprise. They weren't engaged. The M126 bugged out immediately. The Syrian tanks were IDed as T72, don't recall if they knew it was the 72M+. You gather that the M128s would only be useful against this vehicle in a keyhole position.

I realize the programming in a situation like this is damn tricky.