Question about unit attributes

Okay, if this has been asked before then I'm really sorry. But I'm curious to know just what these modifiers do in the game. I certainly understood how leadership modifiers worked in the CMx1 series of games as you could see at a glance which units were in command range and which weren't. And yes, it's easy enough to see if subordinate units are in command range of their parent unit in CMx2 as well but there are different types of contact. I'm sure that there's a world of detail built into this system that I'M unaware of.

So, it seems that there ae four modifiers in CMx2,

a) leader name (leadership modifier)

B) experience level

c) physical condition (physical fitness modifier)

d) morale (motivational modifier)

of these, I don't recall seeing a modifier for B) but I assume it just affects how well the unit performs in the game. However, there seems to be a potential +4 overall modifier if I understand this correctly.

quote from the manual about what leaders do...

"They help maintain internal discipline, direct fire to be more effective, and keep contact with other Leaders. The more Leaders you lose, the harder maintaining C2 becomes."

Okay, that's very clear but I still have a couple of questions regarding this...

First, while it's obviously good to keep units within the command range of a good leader, is it better to have a unit within the command radius of a bad one?

And second, does the type of 'being in command radius' (ie, visual, vocal etc) affect the leader's modifier?

Hmm, perhaps none of you guys are any the wiser than I am and we've all just been assuming that it works rather like CMx1? I was quite familiar with CMx1's leader ratings as there were four: command, combat, morale and ambush/stealth, and we all more or less know how those worked.

I really don't understand how CMx2's system all works. For example,

a)does a squad with a +1 leader become an effective +1 squad when they are in command range of their -2 platoon leader?

B) does the same squad become an effective +3 when in the command radius of their +2 platoon leader?

c) do leaders improve the overall morale level of the units in their command radius? ie veterans become crack when beside a +1 leader, or elite when beside a +2 leader?

d) I know that higher level leaders, company and battalion leaders are there primarily for C2 but is their leadership a factor when they are in command range of one of their subordinate units?

e) in the above examples, there are further factors that can influence the overall modifier, weakness for instance gives a -1 modifier and panicked/suppressed gives further negative modifiers. This can give rise to some pretty huge cumulative negative modifiers. example, an unfit and panicked -2 squad within command radius of a -2 leader, possibly up to -8!!!

What's the story?

Some quick answers;

Leadership - affects the general speed of the unit's reactions to things, especially as it relates to C2. Check out the manual starting on page 70 for that. Rallying is another thing that Leadership influences.

Fitness - speed of decreasing/increasing Fatigue. Basically, how quickly the unit will tire and rest.

Motivation - increases or decreases the negative effects of being shot at, taking casualties, and other things that hit Morale.

These apply to the whole unit. Leaders do not influence other units. However, because C2 is affected by the Leadership bonus there is an effect. For example, a +2 Squad is not going to get Relative Spotting information very quickly if his Platoon Leader and Company Commander are -2.

Steve

Aha, that's much clearer. And quite different from CMx1 too. The leaders in the game only affect the units they're actually PART of. That's very different from what I thought was happening but it's still good.

So, all other factors being equal, a squad with a +2 leader will spot threats and react much faster than one with a lower level leader. But giving a platoon a platoon leader with +2 while all the individual squads are -1 or worse won't make any difference to them at all. He's just going to pass on the C2 info to his squads much more quickly.

Thanks for the clarification.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone elaborate on this point?

I would like to know what all the available physical modifiers(rested, tired, etc..) and motivational "morale" modifiers (panic, broken, etc...) in the game are. Also please explain what type of restrictions these put on your units. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.