C2 issues?

JSB

First of all, I would like to say I love this game and I don't really worry about the issues.

I have noticed a few things that don't seem to work or to appear properly about C2.

SPOILER***

When I launch the first scenario (Abu Susah) in Real-Time/Elite mode, the only Syrian HQ seems to be controling every team under its command as the unit report shows only green +. In fact, most of these units have no C2 contact and this appears in their "chain of command" display.

It's really annoying in real-time...

When I launch the "Al Huqf" scénario, the only Syrian HQ appears as a team, without any Unit report applet...

When I launch the "Missiles en Embuscade" scenario, I find a FBCB2 icon in the C2 link pannel of the dismounted Recon troops, and even after their respective Bradley is abandoned.

On the other hand, after reading what FBCB2 is about, I am surprised that the vehicules connected with this system can't locate each other.

By the way, I'm not sure it's a good thing to lock the view on the HQ when you select it from the chain of command buttons, especially considering the fact that the locked view doesn't show the unit beyond the second "floor" of camera.

One last thing, rather out of subject, it would perhaps help in some way to have more different floating icons (for sniper teams, IED, etc...), and/or the option to switch to Nato symbols.

Ok, ok it's all smile.gif

Great game indeed, keep going!

[ August 15, 2007, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: JSB ]

as the unit report shows only green +.
if you mean the indicator in place where other units will show the "ammo loadout" or the "damaged systems" i allready figured out what that means.

it was said, after i asked, that not even steve is sure what it does so i kept an eye open.

you just get red X´s when units are not controlable anymore(shaken, panict, routed,...).

it would perhaps help in some way to have more different floating icons
i would wish for more "?" markers istead of the super identification we have now with that icons.

there should something between unidentified( currently a unit never seen befor) and identified as soon as you saw it.

you just get red X´s when units are not controlable anymore(shaken, panict, routed,...).
That's not what we can read in the manual:

"Unit Report - available for HQs only. Shows up to 9 units directly

attached to the HQ and if they are in C2 contact (thick

green +) or out of contact (large red X). Clicking on an entry

switches the player to that unit."

And this would be more useful than tracking useless units.

Have you seen one of those red X?

i would wish for more "?" markers istead of the super identification we have now with that icons.

there should something between unidentified( currently a unit never seen befor) and identified as soon as you saw it.

I was talking about friendly units!

I agree with you: I find the identification very fast and precise, especially for HQ, which don't carry specific weapons, and don't differ visually from a splited team.

[ August 15, 2007, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: JSB ]

That's not what we can read in the manual:
:D

And this would be more useful than tracking useless units.
exactly what i think. tracking useless units is useless :D

Have you seen one of those red X?
would i come to tell you if not!? i even have a screen to show if you dont belive me.

I was talking about friendly units!
oh, allright. but wouldnt have the enemy to show the same type of icons than. it cant be just one sided!?

so when your blue sniperteam has a little crosshair instead of a "squad" symbol you would see it on enemy markers too i think.

The icons could be the same for categorically identified units, but I guess that it should need much less effort to spot a friendly sniper team!
ovcourse! thats right, but also that would suggest that such a "advanced" identifieing system is in place, if it wherent it would just help for even easier identification than we have now.

not that i have basicly anything against it, but i just mean that adding more precise icons now at that point makes things even simpler.

Another question: How does the leadership modifier work?

Will a good Battalion leader influence the leadership of his company leaders, influencing their squad leaders and so on? As far as C2 contact is maintained of course.

Same question for the morale?

I made a little rapid test yesterday evening, and didn't see the famous red X, even for a whole wounded squad...which is beyond uselessness. (they were all wounded without getting panicked, must I admit. Next time I'll try with green.)

[ August 16, 2007, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: JSB ]

easiest will be if you buy lowest quality comabatants vs lowes quality cobatants in editor(but with Full suplie ;) ). these can shoot long and dont hit a thing, also they are rattled fast :D

go in "hot seat" mode and target a singel squad wiht many combatants from 150m - 200m away so that there comes much lead in their direction but it doesnt hit at all or just rarely. after 1 or 2 turns they should panic or something similar.

than you can see the red X at their HQ...

it doesnt work if they are just all dead or wounded. they can be all green too, they just need to be "rattled" or "paniced" or "routed" as far as i saw it, not sure about rattled but sure with paniced and routed.

if you still dont manage to panic a squad i post the screen for you to see smile.gif

Seen it...

The green + becomes a red X when the unit is shaken, i.e. when it cannot receive orders any more.

The red X turns into a green + again when all soldiers are dead or wounded, although I've seen vehicule crews disappear from the "chain of command" after being eliminated, which seems more logical.

This story of + and X is not related to C2 then?

Last attempt to find anyone else interested in this matter. (promised!)

To sum up: Does C2 interfere with anything else than relative spotting? (efficiency in receiving and executing orders, leadership modifiers, morale,...).

Does C2 system work as it is supposed to do, or is it going to receive some improvements?

I've just red it again (can't wait for the paper manual!) and it's clearer now: relative spotting, support and morale.

The only thing not conform with the manual is the C2 info pannel for the HQs (see above) which is of no help in RT.

Originally posted by JSB:

have more different floating icons (for sniper teams, IED, etc...), and/or the option to switch to Nato symbols.

I would like something like that as well. While it doesn't bother me as much playing WEGO it is still a pain to have to click on a unit just to see what it is. I can see how having everyone look the same would be a real problem in RT.

I also agree with your point on enemy icons. They should be much more general. Especially with infantry. How do you know that that RPG team isn't just the only part of a squad that you can see? Are commanders carrying their guidons with them into battle?

As a side note, it would actually be quite easy to identify an American command group. While company and below might look like a normal squad with a couple extra radios a battalion command group looks like a bloody antenna farm. My old BC when I was light used to have an entourage that looked like a platoon and every one of them had a long whip antenna on his back. Then again my old BC was an idiot so that may not normally be the case.