Distance Haze?

One of the things that seems absent from the beautiful beta screenshots is that distance fog effect, that adds depth to the 3d environment and the illusion of a virtually borderless battlefield. This also softens details on say trees so as no to look unaturally crisp from a distance. Is it a matter of settings or am I missing something here?

I think most games put in this distance fog more for performance reasons than aesthetics. It effectively limits the distance at which polygons have to be drawn, thus improving game speed.

Having said that, it would be nice to see some distance effects such as haze, reduced colour (things in the distance tend to have less vibrant colours) loss of focus (i.e softened edges) etc.

I rather like how CMx1's fog (and sandstorm) looks in-game and I could never discern any performance hit to my slow old machine when it was in use. If we're voting I think it would help with real-world immersion if a slight amount of CMx1 style 'fog' were added to represent simple modern world haze/smog. We may see fog applied to foggy days, but then again BFC might think fog in Syria is as unlikely as snow - and we already know we're not getting snow.