Vehicle initiative in 1.02 and 1.03

thewood

I have run a couple of test scenarios in 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03 for how Strykers use their weapons against infantry. Results:

1.01 - Strykers immediately open fire on spotted and ID'ed infantry at 500 meters.

1.02 - Strykers do not open fire at all even with infantry moving in the open at 500 meters

1.03 - Strykers never open fire, but the two squaddies acting as air guard out the back hatches open fire on moving infantry.

This is by no means a scientific test, but I have run each several times (it is quite time consuming) to confirm at least a directional change in how Strykers use MGs against infantry.

I have mentioned and hinted at this in a multitude of threads and seen a few people also mention it, but I have not seen a response from BFC if this is an actual issue. I would think that in WEGO scenarios it would be a huge deal.

In the same tests, I tried having having HMG and grenade launchers firing on the eight Strykers to see if that elicited any reaction...none other than one Stryker rotating in place a few times. No smoke, no evasion, no return fire. I might cluelessly guess that this is somehow related to TacAI and self preservation issues, but I am just looking for confirmation that this is being looked at by someone besides me.

Before anyone asks, elite hotseat wego on flat desert terrain and FOW accounted for.

Yep, playing a night time scenario where my M1128 sighted two Kornets and simply fired three or four bursts of 50mm over about 30 seconds before it was obliterated. Two rounds of HE could easily have been fired instead.

This post may seem anecdotal but I have noticed and commented several times upon main-weapons-system impotence in 1.02. In 1.02 it was mainly the Bradley and BMP-1 that I noticed. I don't recall what the M1128 was like in 1.02.

In 1.02 I noticed that Bradleys and BMPs would not fire ATGMs at one another. Not sure if this is the case in 1.03.

It would be nice to know if this is a design decision or if there are plans to do some tweaking to vehicle behavior. That said I do realize 1.02 was mainly a bug-centric patch, so hopefully this is a known issue and it will be addressed.

in playtesting again my mission, i abandomed acually, in 1.03 i found the same behaviour for BRDMs / BTR´s and red infantry to some extent.

especially the problems with infantry where bad.

they more or less ignore the cover arc when the enemy is further away than 250m or so. in this case i had plenty of crawling and stationary infantry in their cover arc but they didnt shoot, also there where technicals there, same distance.

when i targeted the technicals manually the guys opened up and destroyed the technicals with small arms fire. yet they dont do it "just" with a cover arc.

and yes, i see ALL that in wego and its still a pain. sometime i think about switching to RT but i think that is what they want so i continue pressing for "fixed" wego-essential functions, also RT isnt why i started to play CMx1 so why start now!? tongue.gif

hooah!

Yeah I've noticed this a bit.

Strykers seem to want to conserve their ammo at longer ranges, it dosen't seem to be so bad at close range.

Still if there is a RPG-29 on top of a building at longer ranges it would be nice to see the Strykers suppress it even if their not sure of a good kill chance due to the range.

Still if there is a RPG-29 on top of a building at longer ranges it would be nice to see the Strykers suppress it even if their not sure of a good kill chance due to the range.
hell, i dont gave them a clar and simpe order to "think" about it but to carry it out. if the enemy is in sight and range(.50cal remotely operated 1000m+!?) and they are orderd to fire upon units(cover arc) they should do it, not think about it.

BRDM´s in my scenario refused to follow my order to fire at ranges no more than 310 meters...

also you cant conserve ammo and suppres or kill at the same time. so when they have a coverarc they should fire no matter what they "think". "I" allready thought about it and that have to be enough. especially with 2k+ ammocount.

thats what i think...

thats not a tiny and shortbarreled m203 launcher we speak here, is a MK19!?

fas.org give following ranges for the MK19;

Maximum range: 2200 meters

Maximum effective range: 1600 meters

500m!? pice a cacke...

look a the trajectory of the granades...they could he hurled much higher still ;)

It was the Russian support weapon. It wasn't firing, which is par for the course, regardless of range.

I also want to point out that even when I intervened and gave fire orders, no go. The Strykers refused to fire.

What still bugs me is that the two idiots with SAWs were firing while mounted, yet the .50, with its range and fancy optics still won't do it. The two SAWs were (I think they were SAWs) were plugging away and killing Syrians left and right at half a click. Even with a scope, I struggle hitting a target an 500 meters with my .303.

again,

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl22-e.htm

(wich i belive is at the most parts reliable)

states for the AGS30

Effective range: up to 800 m point targets; 1700 m maximum range

and has a 2.7x scope and backup iron shight :D

500m isnt all too far also for this system.

the thing in question is was the weapon team seeing the unit(stupid question)!?

if it saw the unit it should get taken under fire...

also iam interested if you gave your units(blue and red) in this test cover arcs or not as this could make a little difference as it is in 1.03.

EDIT:

AGS 30 isnt perfectly related to vehicle initiative but still your test showed significant flaws in the AGS30 too ;)