What was the reasoning about TCP/IP being real time only?

I'm amazed that TCP/IP WeGo seems to be so popular. In the beginning, there was no TCP/IP capability and no one seemed to mind. It came later and true to the grognard ethos, many declared that it was of no use to them.

Like this from November 2000:

"The bottom line to me, is that TCP play in CM is no different than a simple RTS game where you just throw wads of troops at each other without any deep strategy. It all comes down to who has the biggest or most guns in a given conflict. Make the timer longer, you say? Then why not just go back to playing rapid-fire PBEM games with ICQ or IM? My point is to remind everyone why we fell in love with CM in the first place, and that the well-received TCP patch may actually be a step backwards from the game's achievements that make it stand out in the wargaming genre."

And this:

"CM was released in June. I was hoping for the release of CM2 one year after the release of CM. It is now November and we still have no TCP/IP. Has the last 6 months of TCP/IP work added to the development time of CM2? Is every day that TCP/IP is delayed, also an additional delay for CM2?

I know that BTS wants to release TCP/IP, and that it is going to get done, one way or the other. However, I would have preferred they spend the time on CM2 instead."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see tcpip mode again.

I got people to buy combatmission with tcpip (demo) games where we were connected with teamspeak. Its great to enjoy the game at the same time and a good way to discuss and learn tactics.

Totally different from pbem in my opinion.