Impossible(?) suggestion.

Hi all.

Why not create a "link" between two waypoints of two different units in visual contact, so that neither proceed to the next waypoint (or fire command, action ecc...) if first both units did not reach linked waypoint?

Sorry for the english, I hope that I explained.

Saluti smile.gif

Like triggers for the Scenario Editor in general. A few days ago I think it was Steve who wrote that some Editor features being considered are triggers and branchable AI plans. Then I suppose you could have things like:

-move to waypoint1

-if (something) go to waypoint2A

-else go to waypoint2B

It will be interesting to see how this web of AI plans is edited.

Yes, but this isn't the same thing; my request is for a kind of coordination in game, not just in editor.

For example, two infantry squad in visual contact wait each other for wp near two doors of a big building; When each unit reaches its linked wp, then proceeds to enter the building from different doors.

"Exit after" is a coordination based on time factor, but if a units for some reason is stopped (enemy fire), the coordination fail because the other units proceed anyway.

What do you think?

Yes, i play exclusively in WEGO mode; in effect in RT to have linked waypoint is not so useful.

In the editor, this type of coordination can be achieved using script based on the position of the two units, When the scripts command will be added in the editor.

My suggestion is primarily concerned with game session in wego mode.

Saluti.

Maybe this could be implemented using the "group pause" method I suggested in the "1.06 feedback" thread?

For this to work from the UI perspective it would be wise to have a way to select a group of units (ala Ctrl-1 assigns the selected units, Shift-1 then selects them or something) and then have a new command called group pause.

First, assign the wanted units in a group. The select the individual units, and issue the movement commands. For each unit you want to link, select the to-be-linked waypoint and press the "group pause" button. The option you choose using the group pause button would be "when rest of group ready". Intuitively when all the units have reached their "paused" way points the units would then proceed. Naturally for this to work as intended, the units should be in contact with each other through the chain of command.

Other options: only one unit from the group moves at a time. This way you could do bounding overwatch easily. The option suggested in "V1.06 feedback" thread is to have option with the effect "group wait until cancelled". It could be useful for other uses too...

I think this would work... Opinions?

Well, that depends. IMHO it is not too much fine coordination if there is a prearranged plan. If there is one, then every squad just needs to shout/radio "first ready", "second ready" etc and then the commander needs to say "Go!".

But that really depends on the situation. For a quick plan arranged over the radio it would at least take some time to do this coordination.