Building Graphics replaced by "?"

Here is an odd bug that I've been experiencing. It hasn't caused the game to slow of crash, but it has gotten to the point where after many months, it is just annoying.

Once in a while, a building's graphic image will be replaced by either a victory flag's image (Axis, Allied or ?) OR by flams and or explosions, which ever is present on the map at the time. Sometimes the "exploding building" is accompanies by explosion sound effects. Oh! It also only happens to small, lvl1 buildings.

Here is an example: http://home.maine.rr.com/kimble/cmbug.gif

Has anyone experienced this bug yet? I figure it might be the mods I have installed. It doesn't happen often, and doesn't present any problems; it's just there.

Here are my system particulars:

Apple iBook running Mac OS 9.1

Combat Mission 1.12

Mods: Too many to count.

Rob Carignan

kimble@maine.rr.com

I haven't seen an error like this myself. I have heard of some mods getting corrupted (most notably some Shermans showing track treads in place of turret bitmaps, etc.).

I don't know which resource file has the bitmaps for the Level 1 Buildings, but it is possible that this particular file is corrupt. Since you have a lot of mods installed this would seem the most likely possibility. That or somehow you've exceeded your iBook's VRAM and the building texture ended up being the next texture that couldn't be displayed properly (but I don't know the details of texture management under RAVE).

The easiest way I could see to solving this problem is to backup all of your CMBO resource files and install the ones that came with the CD. Otherwise you could use the Mac Mod Manager and see if it will remove your building mods (I'm not personally familiar with this program's capabilities).

I don't know if this applies, but if you let your computer sleep with CMBO 'running' when your wake your Mac, you (will) may have graphics corruption. Try shutting down CMBO and restarting it, usually this takes care of the problem. You may need to restart your Mac as the last resort. In the past I have left CM, Explrr and Outlook up all the time but have found it more reliable to shut down CM since it starts so quickly unlike some of Microsloths offerings.

I've had a similar problem with my Mac after installing a lot of High Res mods, some building sides were replaced by other textures, like grass, fire and even soldier's backs.

I had installed the mods with the Mac Mod Manager, and later I went thru the resource files with Res Edit and noticed that the bmp for that building side was missing, forcing the program to fill in with something else.

I manually fixed the resource file by copying the graphic and pasting it in and that solved the problem, but I've yet to figure out why its doing that.

It might have something to do with the size of the graphics being placed into the resource files, for example I can't use the 2048x512 sky textures, I had to shrink them down to half that, the large bmp's would not load and often get replaced by the fire texture, complete with animation. (A very disturbing effect...)

Another thing of note is that I did not have this problem with 9.1, (I'm using 9.2.1) but then again I didn't have many mods installed then, so I can't directly blame the new OS.

Yes, I did trash the prefs file. Hand fixing the resource files seemed to do the trick.

Res Edit is available free here

Gyrene

This is the Macintosh plague. Only a select few have everything modded on the Mac. They are blessed. You'll probably have to copy a new graphic file from the cd because they're ain't no going back. If you have the hard drive space, make a data folder for the 3 seasons. Just use the proper mods for the proper seasons. I've done this and everything works.

p.s. Don't go over 16mb per graphic file.

This is a "plague" that will not be seen in CMBB/CM2. Instead of resource files, with their file size limitations, BTS will go with stand-alone files (like the BMPs in the Windows version of CMBO) for CMBB/CM2 on the Mac. So it will look a bit more messy in terms of the larger number of files, but there will no longer be the headaches associated with resource files. This may make it easier to develop a cross-platform mod manager (for what that may be worth).