a list of next units?

RommL

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002677;p=6

This might give you some idea what may or may not make it. Currently BFC has not prepared a public list of what will and will not be in the Marine Module. I hope this will wet your appetite. Feel free to make your own suggestions there, you never know who may be listening. ;)

Semper Fi

I wonder how quick the turn-around is actually going to be on the expansion pack.

I mean, theoretically they could plug in the Marine TO&E, plug in new polygons & skins, make sure the vehicles perform to spec, and call it a day. But we KNOW BFC couldn't do that. They have this uncontrollable urge to pop the hood and fine-tune the engine.

Also they're on a collision course with history! Every new widget bought by the Marines between now and the release date will be expected in the game. To illustrate the problem, I just heard the Marines drastically cut their original large purchase of Cougar mine resistant trucks! I think they said they were concerned the Marines were straying too far from their 'expeditionary force' mandate. Cougar's very much an 'occupation force' piece of equipment. That should leave BFC scratching their heads over exactly how to proceed. :rolleyes:

Not trying to sound deliberately pessemistic, but what if anything will a Marine Module actually bring to the game?

The equipment of the Marines is not so different from the Army that I'm not sure it will be worth the bother to purchase. I'm not even sure realistically that they would be involved in the War fighting part of a mission into Syria. Well, as there is no water in Syria in SF, theyre definately not going to assault from the sea!

[ December 09, 2007, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: GSX ]

You need to recheck your geography there, my friend. Syria actually has a substantial amount of water. The Euphrates River runs through Northern Syria, and it also has a substantial chunk of Mediterranean seacoast. In fact, it has more seacoast relative to its total area that Iraq does, and the Marines were intimately involved in both Iraq invasions.

A amphibious assault element to a hypothetical invasion of Syria is not only possible, I would submit that it is quite likely.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

You need to recheck your geography there, my friend. Syria actually has a substantial amount of water. The Euphrates River runs through Northern Syria, and it also has a substantial chunk of Mediterranean seacoast. In fact, it has more seacoast relative to its total area that Iraq does, and the Marines were intimately involved in both Iraq invasions.

A amphibious assault element to a hypothetical invasion of Syria is not only possible, I would submit that it is quite likely.

Cheers,

YD

Hmm, mental note, be more specific.... I meant that in CMSF there is NO water, no ponds, rivers, bridges, beaches, waterfalls, sprinklers, I think your get the drift..... So how do you simulate a beach assault without the amphibs etc. If not what you are left with is much the same as a Stryker unit isnt it?

As I understand it the Marines have much the same weaponry and equipment, an LAV is essentially a Stryker. A Cobra is essentially an Apache [for CM purposes] and they all call in similar air [Harrier excluded]. A Marine squad is slighly bigger but the infantry weaponry is the same.

So, what benefit and addition to gameplay would the addition of what is essentially a Marine Mod without the amphibs, hovercraft and beach landings bring.

Before buying it I certainly would like my question answered.

About Marines fighting in Syria.

Remember Marine Task Force 58 was the first major U.S. force into Afghanistan in late 2002, some 400+ miles inland from landling beaches in Pakistan. If you count their assistance in reopening the Kabul U.S. embassy (750 miles inland) the Afghanistan operation holds the record for deepest 'amphibious operation' in history!

About amphib assault.

Well, its been awhile since the Marines have conducted an opposed landing. Lebanon, Somalia, Pakistan were all unopposed. I can imagine the Marines arriving off Al Hamidiyah at midnight on a moonless night, and the landing being a fait accompli by sun up with a decently wide beachhead. So Marines bobbing in the surf would be a *tiny* aspect of the operation.