Poor-looking Mac mine and TRP graphics

When I got CMBB on my Mac I noticed that a few of the

graphics just don't look very good. Specifically

the minefield signs and the TRP target symbol look

extremely low-resolution on my machine. Even if I

go down to view 1 and move right up next to the sign,

it's illegible. Now that I've got the PC version up

and running, I see that this is not the case -- the signs

look clear and crisp, just as they did in CMBO on my Mac.

What's the deal?

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

...time to upgrade.

Yeah, I'm thinking so myself. The grass looks pretty crappy, houses start to blur a little when I move up close, in fact most everything except vehicles loses on close examination.

Mostly I've had pretty good framerates though, except today I loaded the Blitzkrieg operation and noticed that everything, including the cursor, had gotten very jerky.

Time to move up to a 128MB card, I think.

Michael

I just got CMBB last night and noticed that many of the textures were downsampled--specifically the uniforms and some of the vehicles. No framerate problems are apparent, yet.

This is a bummer as I'm trying to test a new ultra-detailed, ultra-sharp German uniform mod set and everything looks kind of blurry in my display. :(

I thought my 32MB Radeon card would be powerful enough to run CMBB with no problem. My CMBO is (as expected) modded to the gills and only has framerate issues when there's a lot of smoke and moving vehicles on a BIG map.

Any suggestions for improving performance (short of buying a new video card)? I'll try trashing the CMBB preferences file and running it at 800x600, to see if that makes a difference.

Guest PondScum

We were told before release that CMBB would downsample on anything less than 64MB. Some of us went out and bought based 64MB cards based on that information smile.gif

Don't you just hate to be out of the loop?

Guess I'm going to have to break down and replace the old "legacy" 8600 (w/G3+ other major upgrades) with something newer, as I can't find a PCI graphics card for the Mac with anything more than the 32MB that I have now.

Funny how I bought the Radeon card specifically so I could play CMBO on my machine.

I guess I'll just have to give up MODing--why bother if I can't see all the cool details and effects on my own machine. :(

Guest PondScum

Found the original comment - it's by KwazyDog in this thread from March.

Specifically, he said:

As it is people with 32mb cards will may have their textures downsampled one level, so we *really* cant push the VRAM any further.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I loaded a PBEM file and then escaped out to check texture memory usage -- it was up around 60MB. Things looked pretty spiffy, though.

Update on the Radeon issue -- fog looks fine, I checked in the scenario editor. But smoke and dust clouds are completely fubar. The "high quality" smoke and dust graphics look pretty much exactly like the "fast and compatible" smoke graphics (that is, completely opaque), only about twice as big in every dimension.

Building transparency still works too, btw.

I have a similar behavior with the fog but I manage to get better resolution and the high quality smoke: transparent and very good looking: quit CMBB and restart when the blocky smoke appears.

If afresh I can see the high quality smoke and after a while it reverts to low quality on the same view.

VooDoo 5500 3dfx on Mac B&W G3

Wonder if it would look better on a Titanium G4 512 MB 667MHz. Any experience?

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

I'm also going to fire up CMBO ("what's that?" I hear you ask) [/QB]

Oh not at all: I got CMBO the month they released it. At beginning I did not even had any MODS: very few available.

Now my CMBO is maxed out in resolution and things look crispy and beautiful up close.

I am bit disappointed I can't count the leaves on tree branches anymore!

#1 view is such a deception.

Is high-res in CMBB that more memory eater than a maxed out (totally maxed out) CMBO?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for keeping us updated re: Mac Radeon drivers. Interestingly, I've discovered that the "9000 Pro" seems to be really just an 8500 with different connectors. The drivers that came installed with the card are all 8500 drivers, and if you pick "Mac OS" and "Radeon 9000 Pro" on the driver d/l site at ATI.com, you get an error message saying "please choose a Mac OS product."

I think the technical support department isn't supporting the marketing department's spiel. smile.gif

So anyway, I appreciate the updates. At least our fog works and is pretty..