Iraq conflict's toll on Army equipment--must read!

An interesting article restating something that has received little attention until fairly recently. The lack of replacement funding last year made a small splash in the media (one article showed a helo count lost compared to replaced, for example). A couple of weeks ago the commander of the Army National Guard stated that 2/3rds of all Guard units are unfit to fulfill their roles (I assume domestically too) due to one or more reasons. Equipment shortages was on the top of the list.

Steve

Steve,

My understanding is that across the board Army combat readiness by division is very low. We've basically worn out most of our units, and psychological casualties are becoming such a big deal the national news types are beginning to discuss the matter. As far as equipment readiness, the Pentagon prefers spiffy new toys and by and large so does Congress. Spare parts aren't sexy, make lousy photo ops, and don't generate promotions.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

Senior military leaders, especially ones that have retired and don't have to fear retalliation or a conflict with their oath, have been saying the same thing. Critics of slimming down the military to be more lean and mean are also saying "I told you so". I've seen some informed sources predicting that it will take 10 years to get the military back to where it was 3 years ago.

Steve