BFC: please do not dumb down "Elite" level

Originally posted by thewood:

How could you cheat?

in multi, if your opponent (or you :D ) fail to follow the rules. ie. i say "gotta pause a minute, need to go to wc" and issue orders even if we agreed to not do so. yes i know it sounds stupid but all can be possible haha, going 10 times during a game to the wc would be strange, to say the least

My issue with not pausing is this: a commander on the ground is able to give commands to multiple elements at once. A platoon leader would not need to tell each of his squads to mount up.

Simulating this ability in games in my mind requires that you be able to pause. However, I think that the pause should be time-limited -- 10 seconds, perhaps?

Having a few seconds of pause time to hand out multiple orders would, in my opinion, do a much better job of simulating tactical command than WEGO or strict real-time. I don't have military experience, though, so please feel free to correct me.

I too would be very happy with an interim difficulty level that allowed pausing.

Originally posted by Sgt.Joch:

1-keep the current "Elite" level as is for diehard realism nuts like myself

What does the pause feature have to do with "realism"? Quite the contrary IMHO. No single RL commander is presented with what the player needs to do in a CMSF game. Lack of it just pushes the emphasis onto fast fingerwork and familiarity with the camera controls rather tactical acumen.

As previous posters have said; those who don't want to pause don't have to. Roll on the patch which fixes this.

as I see it, this is the issue:

there are presently 3 modes in RT:

-basic + give orders while paused

-veteran + give orders while paused

-elite + not able to give orders while paused

BFC wants to get rid of the last level and replace it by:

-elite + give orders while paused

All I am saying is since they have already gone to the trouble of coding "not able to give orders while paused" and it works well, why get rid of it?

instead just combine:

that way you get 4 modes, namely:

-basic + give orders while paused

-veteran + give orders while paused

-elite + not able to give orders while paused

and that way everyone is happy. Whether they do it as a additional mode or a toggle, I don't care. Why restrict choices when we have no idea how the game engine will develop over the next 5-6 years?

Originally posted by Hertston:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sgt.Joch:

1-keep the current "Elite" level as is for diehard realism nuts like myself

What does the pause feature have to do with "realism"? Quite the contrary IMHO. No single RL commander is presented with what the player needs to do in a CMSF game. Lack of it just pushes the emphasis onto fast fingerwork and familiarity with the camera controls rather tactical acumen.

As previous posters have said; those who don't want to pause don't have to. Roll on the patch which fixes this. </font>