Death Match ?

Is it possible in single player to have a death match ? ie a fight to the finish ? I am not talking about an open ended time limit.

I am talking about when the computer whimps and declares you the winner just when you have a final objective to go.

It seems kind of pussy to me that the computer decides to whimp when you are having a great time and gearing up to go for the kill and all of a sudden you end up with the After Action Report.

Anyone know a parameter setting that would force the computer to finish the scenario ?

I don't know of a way to do this, but honestly, it isn't really a problem for me. It seems mostly unrealistic that enemies (especially in the initial invasion phase) would continue to fight to the last man. Besides, it would probably be anti-climactic anyway if you assaulted with a full company only to have a single RPG team to deal with. ;)

-FMB

Originally posted by Field Marshal Blücher:

I don't know of a way to do this, but honestly, it isn't really a problem for me. It seems mostly unrealistic that enemies (especially in the initial invasion phase) would continue to fight to the last man. Besides, it would probably be anti-climactic anyway if you assaulted with a full company only to have a single RPG team to deal with. ;)

-FMB

I am not talking about a single RPG. I am finding the computer whimps with significant resources that in no way would a human opponent quit with if they could still gain points by damaging your units. For instance- I created a scenario that I played yesterday and I gained 5 of my six objectives. My side had terrain objectives and the AI had unit objectives. The computer quit right after it decimated two squads I had assault the final objective. The AI still had at least 20% of its force and held at least that much of the map. If you were playing me in multi-player would you whimp on those terms ? Even if you knew you were going to lose, you would go for the points, right ?

Originally posted by Combatintman:

Most units that go below 40% combat effectiveness lose all cohesion - the AI is right to surrender.

No, about half the enemys remaining force was not damaged and had not seen combat. The chances were slim, but the possibility to turn it into a draw or win points wise was there although very slim. That is why I doubt a human opponent would not have folded especially after having destroyed two infantry squads. With 20 minutes remaining the computer could have countered on another objective while holding the final one and inflicting enouph casualtys/points to have turned this around.

This is like when someone asked the devs why a two hour time limit and everyone said that was unrealisitic, etc,- which is true. But why limit the possibiltys of the game ? There is little point of that. In my situation with the computer pussing out, it really harms the playability of the game for me.

Originally posted by Fizou:

This game is supposed to show realism, not an enemy that fights to the death at all times...

Well, maybe a feature where individual units surrender like in CMBO would be better ? Which do you think would show more 'realism' ?

Well, maybe a feature where individual units surrender like in CMBO would be better ? Which do you think would show more 'realism' ?
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed and will not be implemented if i remember correctly. Move along citizen, nothing to see here.

Dragon67, I agree, the auto-surrender in this and earlier CM games could be annoying when you have an vindictive desire to hunt down and destroy every last straggler on the map.

Not remotely realistic, but fun as an option to keep playing, maybe after the score is calculated.

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

Dragon67, I agree, the auto-surrender in this and earlier CM games could be annoying when you have an vindictive desire to hunt down and destroy every last straggler on the map.

Not remotely realistic, but fun as an option to keep playing, maybe after the score is calculated.

If the enemy wants to quit, let them surrender and face the music.