So no demo before release?

On the other hand I think the philosophy of 'finish the game, release it and then work on the demo' makes more sense than creating a demo as part of the development and getting the game out at a later date.

Ultimately, the point of the demo is to increase sales, and unless you are going for impressive first day sales to get to the top of the sales charts, it doesn't matter if the demo comes out a week after the game - it's not really going to lose them any sales. (And games charts are worthless anyway - as one guy in the business I know said "You basically buy positions in the top 20 sales charts from the shops, and if you want a better review you pay for the reviewer to go to a strip club.")

Would you rather have the demo out today and the game out on the 1st of August, or the game out in 2 days and the demo out on the 1st of August?

Originally posted by TheVulture:

On the other hand I think the philosophy of 'finish the game, release it and then work on the demo' makes more sense than creating a demo as part of the development and getting the game out at a later date.

Ultimately, the point of the demo is to increase sales, and unless you are going for impressive first day sales to get to the top of the sales charts, it doesn't matter if the demo comes out a week after the game - it's not really going to lose them any sales. (And games charts are worthless anyway - as one guy in the business I know said "You basically buy positions in the top 20 sales charts from the shops, and if you want a better review you pay for the reviewer to go to a strip club.")

Would you rather have the demo out today and the game out on the 1st of August, or the game out in 2 days and the demo out on the 1st of August?

battle front has done it before.. theater of war's demo was released 2 days before release of that game.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

If you put your ear close to the monitor you'll hear the wheels of progess churning on that.

The easy choice would have been to pick two scens at random, strip them of all but basic units, chop down the maps, and throw them on a server as fast as possible. Would have made some people here happy.

For about two seconds.

Seems to me BF.C opted for option two - actually sitting down and working out a demo custom made to highlight specific features of the game and intended to provide maximum information to potential purchasers so they can make an informed choice about what they are going to buy. And then even insisted on testing the thing to make sure it not only highlights features of the game, but actually entertains as well.