Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Questions about Bradleys

1) Do troop really crawl out of the hatch when disembarking? I've seen it happen often and I wondered whether it's very practical.

2) How prone are they to brewing up? In a recent PBEM game (blue on blue QB), I blew up (literally) two Bradleys just by the autocannon of my own Bradleys. Granted it was a side hit. Also I lost a Bradley due to another Bradley exploding nearby.

About vehicles blowing up, i recall the first Stryker total loss - while approaching Samarra in preparation for a night raid, first week of the Brigade's Iraq deployment. It caught fire after an IED explosion. The engine fire then set off stored demo charges. A vehicle doesn't blow up per se, the contents do. A CMSF Bradley's got four Javelin missiles, two TOWs, a full tank of fuel, some demo charges and 25mm ammo packed into it. So a big 'BOOM' is not entirely out of the question. Oh, and the Bradley's aluminum armor means it would then melt to a puddle.

About troops exiting through the hatch. The Squad leader does sit in the turret commander's spot. But Bradley is as big as a barn. It might be more convenient for him to exit via the ramp than to take a flying 9 foot leap from the turret top ;)

I've seen the results of two different catastrophic hits on Bradleys, the first was from an ATGM in Desert Storm. The crew had about 10 seconds to get out (and fortunately they did). The impact itself was straight through the front, I saw a cloud of sparks and the crew came out of the hatches and started running to another Bradley nearby. I assume the fire suppression worked for about 10 seconds because it took that long for the Brad to explode. When it did it was a big fire ball that burned for a couple of hours.

As for the commander dismounting during normal circumstances, it's much easier to jump off the top, the door between the turret cage and the back compartment isn't very wide and there's a lot of things in the back to get caught on or trip over. Also in RL the dismount Squad Leader rides in the back with the troops.