nVidia users running Vista

Hi guys,

This was released today. There appears to be several patches which MIGHT help out some of you guys that are having framerate and jumpy mouse cursor problems with nVidia cards. Unfortunately, as can be plainly seen there are some serious problems with nVidia stuff at the moment that is way beyond our control. Hopefully this will get you guys the help you need.

We'll look into them this weekend, but you guys might want to play around with these on your own:

Notification of Microsoft Vista Hotfix 940105 - Now available for download (Tools/Utilities)

Description:

Hotfix available at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

Microsoft has just made a very important Windows Vista hotfix available for download: "Virtual address space usage in Windows game development". This Vista hotfix is recommended for GeForce 6, 7, and 8 Series customers running DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 applications.

This hotfix resolves abnormal application behavior such as crashes and extremely low frame rates when running some 3D applications at very high graphics settings. This issue is not limited to, but has been most commonly noticed on high-end graphics cards and the following applications: Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Civilization IV, Company of Heroes, Half-Life 2, Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II, Supreme Commander, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas, and some highly anticipated upcoming titles.

Again, the hotfix is available at:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

We recommend that you always stay up to date with the latest hotfixes from Microsoft.

Version:

Post Date:

8/31/2007

Graphics Processor:

General

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hi guys,

This was released today. There appears to be several patches which MIGHT help out some of you guys that are having framerate and jumpy mouse cursor problems with nVidia cards. Unfortunately, as can be plainly seen there are some serious problems with nVidia stuff at the moment that is way beyond our control. Hopefully this will get you guys the help you need.

We'll look into them this weekend, but you guys might want to play around with these on your own:

Notification of Microsoft Vista Hotfix 940105 - Now available for download (Tools/Utilities)

Description:

Microsoft has just made a very important Windows Vista hotfix available for download: "Virtual address space usage in Windows game development". This Vista hotfix is recommended for GeForce 6, 7, and 8 Series customers running DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 applications.

This hotfix resolves abnormal application behavior such as crashes and extremely low frame rates when running some 3D applications at very high graphics settings. This issue is not limited to, but has been most commonly noticed on high-end graphics cards and the following applications: Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Civilization IV, Company of Heroes, Half-Life 2, Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II, Supreme Commander, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas, and some highly anticipated upcoming titles.

We recommend that you always stay up to date with the latest hotfixes from Microsoft.

Version:

Post Date:

8/31/2007

Graphics Processor:

General

Thanks for the linkage and prescriptive fix, but I'm involved in considerable non-game-related software development, and Vista is looking more forbidding all the time, at least as a host environment for applications such as yours.

I STRONGLY suggest that users who are forced into adopting the new OS consider an alternative, dual-boot configuration in the short to intermediate term. IMHO, anything else is simply courting frustration and/or disaster.

PoE

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hi guys,

Description:

Version:

Post Date:

8/31/2007

Graphics Processor:

General

Thanks for the linkage and prescriptive fix, but I'm involved in considerable non-game-related software development, and Vista is looking more forbidding all the time, at least as a host environment for applications such as yours.

I STRONGLY suggest that users who are forced into adopting the new OS consider an alternative, dual-boot configuration in the short to intermediate term. IMHO, anything else is simply courting frustration and/or disaster.

PoE </font>

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

PoE

Look, individual experiences as usual differ. I adopted to VISTA as early as the RC1 beta was available and experienced ZERO problems with any hardware or software since then. I´m running a whole bunch of FPS and strategy games including older stuff completely troublefree on both 32bit and 64bit VISTA.

The only exception from this troublefree experience is CM:SF with its 8800 related FPS problems and CM:BB and CM:AK with their 8800 related background problems. Therefore it is tempting to speculate that the problems of this(ese) game(s) are unrelated to VISTA but either closely related to the way this game is programmed or the way NVIDIA drivers handle the 8800s.

BTW: KB940105 fix above doesn´t change the FPS problems CM:SF is having most likely because its a DX9 and DX10 hotfix and CM:SF is an OpenGL app.

cheers

[ September 01, 2007, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: The DesertFox ]

Yes, unfortunately these are Vista drivers only.

The DesertFox,

I´m running a whole bunch of FPS and strategy games including older stuff completely troublefree on both 32bit and 64bit VISTA.
Not to knock Microsoft or nVidia too hard, but did you see the list of games these patches are designed to fix? Clearly the only reason you aren't having problems with other games and Vista is because you don't have one of the dozen or so games on that list :D

My serious point here is that "I've never had any problems" thing doesn't mean very much to us developers. Clearly there are problems with nVidia's drivers (and everybody else's drivers... just look at the version numbers!!), so the quesiton is exactly what problem is going on with them and CM:SF. Could be us, could be them.

This next bit might sound defensive, but it isn't intended to be. It's supposed to be educational and an expression of our frustration with all of this. We found 3 bugs in ATI's drivers that we couldn't work around. CMx1 games were working just fine for 6 years and all of a sudden there is a problem. CMx2 runs fine for almost everybody, except for a subset of nVidia users running particular cards. Other people running the same game on the same card with the same driver versions have no problems at all. CM could be doing something "wrong", but generally if it is then everybody should be having problems. The fact that this isn't the case indicates bugs and what not somewhere else. The frustrating thing is these things are never easy to diagnose. Oddly enough, we would rather nobody be able to run the game all of a sudden because then it cleary is our fault and we could fix that up in no time smile.gif

Hang in there... we'll get to the bottom of this!

Steve

Steve,

Clearly the only reason you aren't having problems with other games and Vista is because you don't have one of the dozen or so games on that list :D

Nope. Among all the stuff listed I have Halflife 2, COH and Rainbow Six Vegas and neither of them gave me problems even before the KB940105 hotfix.

so the quesiton is exactly what problem is going on with them and CM:SF. Could be us, could be them.

Yeah, I can feel your frustration. However it unfortunately doesn´t help your case. It remains your responsibility to sort out this mess, which might relate to partially dysfunctional OpenGL support of the NVIDIA and ATI drivers, to get your product up to speed and working to the customers satisfaction.

Hang in there... we'll get to the bottom of this!

I really hope so, because I would love to see this series to have a realistic future.

cheers

Helge

I wish to add my opinion and suggestion that BF consider switching to DirectX instead of OpenGL for the Combat Mission series. Is this a practical impossibility to switch at this late date for CMSF?

I think the graphics card manufacturers have focussed more lately at making their drivers (and cards) compatible with DirectX, with OpenGL being a lower priority. Or for whatever series of complex reasons, good or bad, DirectX has a better chance of being a consistent standard which will yield the best chance of success across the broadest range of graphics cards, processors and operating systems.

And there is one major difference between the OpenGL and DirectX.. And thats licensing. Afaik OpenGL is free and DirectX is not.

But another thing, I think I've managed to find out the WHAT is happening for the 8xxx series to run so slow. Unfortunately can't say WHY its doing it. More on my findings here:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000356