Spotting and Self Control

I have been wondering how all of you are handling targeting, movement and other actions in relation to your units and spotting. I am curious since handling this stuff in different ways can make a scenario harder and more realistic or easier and unrealistic.

A simple example of what I am talking about. (Elite mode assumed)

You have a force of 2 Strykers A and B and 1 sniper team. The sniper team is in position 10m left of Stryker [A] who is [unbuttoned]. Sniper team and Stryker [A] have total knowledge/intel of each other. Stryker B is 150m to the rear but within LOS of Stryker [A] and your sniper team. Suddenly your sniper team spots an RPG unit on top of a building and it is within firing range of your Strykers, however, your Strykers have no frigin idea that RPG team is up there. The Strykers do have an open line of fire to the top of that building. What do you do in this situation and similar situations? Do you "role-play" and try to keep the game as realistic as possible or use every option at your disposal with no concideration for reality.

I personally try to "role-play" it, doing what I think would happen based on the current intel.

In the above situation I would not allow my strykers to engage in any way until they atleast had a [?] possible target/limited intel of the enemy or until something very obvious occure such as an explosion right in front of the Stryker. Sometimes I will not engage until the target is fully identified, but will take defensive action if something obvious just happened, ie, a big puff of smoke and a resulting nearby explosion, but you have to keep in mind that a buttoned tank on the move might be totaly unaware of even those sights and sounds. What are all of your thoughts on this issue?

Area fire it would be for me aswell.

I'm already losing too many vehicles as it is :D .

The way I tend to see it is that the information already got relayed through me (as the player) from the sniper team to the Stryker. I need to be there to see it and react to it. And since I can't be everywhere on the map, I think that's just fair ;)

There is no need for the commander/player to explain the Stryker that there is an enemy RPG in there, he just tells them where to shoot.

Something like yelling over the radio "Stryker X: I need supressive fire on that building at 1 o'clock, at 300 meters at once!".

That is a pretty good way to justify it, I will have to rethink my reactions.

If you as the player represented the battalion commander or some other high ranking soldier, with the modern US C2 system, could you make an instant call to someone such as team leader or vehicle commander? These days do radio calls have to be transferred, connected or passed through a chain?

[ September 04, 2007, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Statisoris ]

If you're playing a game against an oponent, you do anything short of cheating to win. That's how you make the game the most it can be. You force your opponents to come up with new strategies, and you make it much more likely that any unintentional 'exploits' will be patched in the future. That's how games grow.

You, the player, aren't role- playing any particular person. You're not the battalion commander or whatever. You are a conglomeration of leaders at every level from NCO all the way up to major. A real sim would only allow you to issue orders to unit leaders, and only let you see what your alter ego saw. Not much fun there.

You, the player, aren't role- playing any particular person. You're not the battalion commander or whatever. You are a conglomeration of leaders at every level from NCO all the way up to major. A real sim would only allow you to issue orders to unit leaders, and only let you see what your alter ego saw. Not much fun there. [/QB]

Thats right. You don't give direct orders to the men in squads or even platoon leaders. You give orders to the highest commander in rank at the battlefield, let it be a company or battalion commander. And you just hope those orders go well when executed by the soldiers under field commander. Hope I was clear :D