A couple of annoying, but easy to fix problems with Demo & Manual

So I finally got around to downloading the Demo and giving this thing a spin; I've been waiting for a new demo to come out for quite a while.

I must say that in general I'm quite favorably impressed. I am feeling like I'm on a very steep learning curve at the moment, though. I'll definitely buy it sooner or later; it's just a question of whether I'm going to wait for the Mac OSX native version to come out, or buy it now to play in Bootcamp.

Anyway, generally favorable impressions aside, there are some rather annoying problems with the manual and the command key assignments in the 1.07 demo I downloaded last Friday, which make learning the game more confusing for us first-timers. Good news is that these should be very simple things to fix.

Specifically:

In the section of the manual where it describes the commands in detail (pp. 53-69), seems to be showing some kind of custom keyboard layout for the commands, rather than what the default layout. For example, the Slow and Huts command are shown on p 53 as tied to the “4” and “5” keys. This is especially confusing because it directly contradicts the summary list of commands given on p. 16 of the manual – on p. 16, the “4” and “5” keys are shown as tied to camera angles, for example.

Worse, the demo itself appears to be packaged another custom hotkey layout, not related to the one shown in either section on the manual. At least, in my game, the keyboard shortcuts in the game were nothing at all like the keyboard shortcuts listed in either section of the manual. I can only assume that the custom key layout of someone at BFC got accidentally included with the demo.

Needles to say, this is very confusing when you're just trying to learn the game.

Anyway, once I figured out what was going on, it wasn't a huge deal. But probably something that would be good to fix for the future.

On a related note, if someone could post me exactly the default hotkeys.txt file, so I don't have to figure it out on my own, I would most appreciate it. I figure I'll start there, and figure out my own custom layout once I've played the game a bit more.

Cheers,

YD

It is a little confused which is unfortunate.

The 4 & 5 actually refer to the numpad, which is the way to use the positional hot keys as they were actually designed.

You can scroll the tabs with the "/" & "*" keys and use the 9 numpad numbers for the commands. Very quick and effective, the only problem being that its far away from the WASD camera controls.

4 & 5 above the letters are camera views.