CMSF requirements

Hi,

I was in a thread in the Tech Support and thought of a question.

I bought CMSF based on the requirements listing. It was pretty sluggish and not much fun and my machine exceeded the 'suggested' system.

Currently the specs for SUGGESTED are:

Operating System: Windows XP (Vista is supported)

Processor: Pentium IV 2.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor or better

Video Card: GeForce 6800 or Radeon x850

(256 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL

System Memory: 1 Gigabyte or more RAM

The specs for MINIMUM are:

Processor: Pentium IV 1.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor

Video Card: GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9200

(32 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card

System Memory: 256 Megabytes RAM

Is anyone able to play the game with a 32 MB video card or 256 MB of RAM?

I was a bit annoyed when I bought the game and the performance was less than optimal and it would be nice to make it so that future buyers know what the requirements are.

Any opinions on what the minimum/suggested specs should be? It should be simple to update and will prevent a few threads from starting in the tech support forum.

Huh - I'm waiting on my new computer to get here (about 10 days from now) - New 720 Dell system -

Curious now if CMSF would have any chance at playing on my current rig -

It is a Pentium 1.6.......I have 640 RAM and a ASUS 128 RAM video card...

Any chance whatsoever?

Originally posted by meade95:

Huh - I'm waiting on my new computer to get here (about 10 days from now) - New 720 Dell system -

Any chance whatsoever?

I'm curious what specs do you have for that new Dell 720? What I see in the catalog and on the web site and what you just posted doesn't match? There is 3GB of Ram that is with the base price and the video card lowest one is 512 MB. Now I'm not doubting you but if its a new Dell 720 with those low specs I would up grade it. But thats just me. I hope that it will work on your new system and I'm sure that it will. Just so you know I too have a Dell computer and haven't had any problems at all, well just the hard drive one time, but it give me a good excuse to get a bigger hard drive :D

Originally posted by JohnO:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by meade95:

Any chance whatsoever?

I'm curious what specs do you have for that new Dell 720? What I see in the catalog and on the web site and what you just posted doesn't match? There is 3GB of Ram that is with the base price and the video card lowest one is 512 MB. Now I'm not doubting you but if its a new Dell 720 with those low specs I would up grade it. But thats just me. I hope that it will work on your new system and I'm sure that it will. Just so you know I too have a Dell computer and haven't had any problems at all, well just the hard drive one time, but it give me a good excuse to get a bigger hard drive :D </font>

Sorry, now that I just reread what you posted my bag, getting late here. I would say give it a shot and see. If it doesn't then wait for the new rig.

I'm thinking on getting my self a new rig which will be a DEll XPS when I get my tax rebate :D

The problem with specs is that they don't mean much on an individual basis. Sad to say that's still the case with Windows based computers, but it is. The fact is we have a lot of experience with people using what appears to be identical spec systems, but performance is significantly different. There are two possibilities:

1. Some subsystem of the computer isn't all that great on one system compared to another. This is, unfortunately, often the case when someone buys a less expensive model of whatever brand computer it is. There is a reason it is less expensive and often times it is more than just reduced CPU speed and RAM footprint.

2. Driver quirks with the very specific low level hardware components within the system itself. This is because drivers attempt to leverage all tricks possible to eek out as much speed as can be had. This low level approach makes them inherently more vulnerable to quality control issues, different specs on the motherboard, etc.

One quirk we have seen is that some players put on Shadows and all their units disappear. Same card running on the same OS doesn't cause any problems for anybody else. Since the card is the common element it is probably the source of the problem. Yet there is nothing in the specs that we can see that act as an indicator of who will have the shadow problem and who won't.

Guess how much Charles loves dealing with this sort of stuff? :D

Steve