Glad to be back....here's my verdict...

“Tank Warning”

AAR by James “Sgtgoody” Goodman

During setup for the first battle I decide to use the traditional Russian tank rush tactics. I set my infantry and paras to advance behind the hill in the center to push our front line forward. As I am expecting heavy enemy armor I will only use my grunts to hold terrain for now. I do set them heavy on my right to be in position to take the town later on.

For the armor plan I split the tanks into three groups. The right hand group remains intact but the left group is split to form the center and left wings. My goal is to present the defender with a tactical crisis across his entire front. This way he will have to have tanks facing various directions in order to deal with the attack and will present better angles for my tanks to shoot at. Plus his tanks will have to slew their turrets greater distances rather than being able to keep them relatively motionless.

With everything set I take a deep breath and begin.

The terrain has dictated that the wheat fields will be the kill zone for the enemy defense. My initial movement orders have my armor racing over the line of small hills just before the fields and stopping on the edge. I have resigned myself to heavy casualties but the plan is to engage him in a massive battle of attrition. With a little luck I just might win.

I had been hoping for fog but the weather turns out to be light rain. Visibility is only slightly affected so the Germans will still have the range advantage. Such is war.

As the infantry moves into a defensive line just behind the line of hills my tanks rush past them as I watch from ground level. (Very impressive display of just how good this game really looks.)

Tanks cross the ridgeline and immediately start sending spotting reports. Enemy defensive positions are centered on the village on our right with an infantry AT gun detachment to the left.

The German lines become a mass of roaring guns as my tankers speed into view. Several 34’s are killed just as they crest the ridges but others make their positions and commence firing. After a couple minutes nearly all my tanks on the center and right are engaged. Some have cowered and retreated back down the ridgeline but my commanders push them forward.

On the left the wooded lane provides excellent cover and I manage to push a company almost to the bridge before they meet resistance. They initiate a duel with enemy AT guns and lose one while silencing two enemy cannon. I rush infantry into the void and begin to secure our side of the bridge.

Meanwhile things are going as expected in the center and right. The hills and near side of the wheat field are littered with broken and burning tanks. But we have made our presence felt and can see at least 7 dead German tanks and halftracks. My men start effective fire from the left as tanks along the road discover good hull down spots and engage the Hitlerites from the flank. At least two more enemy tanks explode.

Suddenly disaster strikes. An enemy Stug appears just beyond the bridge. My left flank company is taken in the flank and unable to maneuver. Return fire bounces from the low slung assault gun as one after another of my tanks fall. The trailing platoons attempt to take up firing positions further towards the center and manage to score a few hits before succumbing to return fire. Within minutes all of my armor is dead.

My infantry begin to consolidate their positions and trade a few shots with enemy tanks but the morning battle ends with my frontniki in fear of a German counter attack.

The importance of this sector is made clear when another battalion of T34’s arrives to carry on the attack. They also bring with them another company of infantry.

The infantry are sent to push up the left hand road while the armor is again split but this time heavy on our right. From vehicles left on the battlefield it looks as though we have killed over 10 German vehicles. At least 7 are tanks. In addition we are pretty sure that we have destroyed two guns as well.

Again the battle begins and the air is ripped by the roar of tank engines as my armored phalanx streaks across the killing fields.

Return fire is noticeably less and most of my armor is able to reach their firing positions. The Germans are still deadly, however, and casualties are high. I hold back a platoon on the right to take advantage of any opportunities.

The infantry on the left have discovered an enemy trench line and call up a platoon of tanks for support. Soon they are advancing down the lane while the tankers plaster the enemy infantry with high explosives. The position falls and we now have a breach in the enemy line.

German resistance is becoming somewhat chaotic and many of my tanks are able to push to the anti-tank ditch. A trail of burning tanks shows clearly the price we have paid to get here. Still, nearly half of my tanks are still in action and German return fire is sharply down.

We push across the bridge and hit the enemy in the flank. This proves to be the breaking point as two Panzers quickly fall. One of our tanks on the flanking force falls to infantry and another to a Stug but they have done enough.

Now I have the surprise waiting and I send my reserve platoon around on the right flank. They push in behind the enemy Stugs and soon the remaining Germans are in a three way crossfire as our center force pushes forward as well. Infantry begins to push across the wheat field.

Our fresh platoon continues past their smoking prey and enters the orchard just short of the town. They take a few halftracks under fire before it is decided to pause to consolidate our gains and to prepare for further advances.

Another battalion of T34’s and T70’s arrives giving me nearly 30 for my next push. The right becomes our focus and a combined tank and infantry force is set to take the village. We have been unable to re-supply our platoon on the right and they find themselves short of AP rounds. Luckily we have others to rush to their aid.

A force is also assembled to assault hill 252. The T70’s are committed to this force as well as a company of 34’s and nearly a battalion of infantry.

The battle opens with my lead tanks taking several halftracks under fire in the village. My forces surge forward and quickly overrun the outer buildings and the lower woods on hill 252. At this point resistance stiffens although there seem to be no enemy tanks.

A couple tanks fall to infantry as the dirty business of house to house fighting continues. Our numbers give us the upper hand rather quickly and after a tough fight the town is ours.

Hill 252 also falls after hard fighting. Another enemy gun is discovered and one tank falls as well as a couple to hidden infantry. In the end though our paratroopers push the enemy out of their holes and the hill is ours.

A lull in the fighting gives us another opportunity to regroup. Command sends us even more tanks to finish off the Germans and to prepare for follow on operations.

We have pulled back from the crest of Hill 252 to re-supply and are shocked to see two Tiger heavy tanks crest the hill. Radio traffic confirms the presence of another approaching the village. Knowing that it is pointless to try and slug it out with the big cats we immediately push hard for their flanks.

In the village two 34’s quickly fall to the Tiger but not before one scores a hit on its tracks. Two others gain flanking positions and slam round after round into the sides and rear armor. We are lucky that the other tanks have no LOS to the village and can offer their brother no support. The first Tiger has fallen rather painlessly. The others will not go down quite so easily.

One Tiger sits on the crest of 252 while the other is in a gap in the woods to the left. 4 tanks are caught in bad positions and are quickly destroyed. I send an entire company to flank the tank on 252. They score several hits but lose three tanks to the Tiger in the trees. Fortunately this has made him turn his tail to two of my T70’s.

Their tungsten rounds manage to immobilize the beast but one is a little slow to seek cover and is blown nearly in two by the cat’s massive 88. A platoon of 34’s uses the opportunity to score a few more hits including two clean penetrations.

Meanwhile the Tiger on the hill continues to fight on. Immobilized and having taken several penetrating hits he still continues to put paid to several of my tanks. The ground around him is littered with T34’s as the monster finally succumbs to our numbers.

Suddenly his partner finds his second wind and the turret swings round to take one of my 34’s in the back of the turret. A hail of return fire finally silences the Hun and the battle comes to an end as all enemy forces have withdrawn or been destroyed.

The result of the operation is a minor defeat for me but I am actually very pleased with how it turned out. There were things I could have done better but I wanted to use fairly historic tactics and so put speed and numbers as my primary focus.

I ended up losing about 50 tanks (19 of those in the final battle with the Tigers) while the Germans lost about half that.

This operation will, in my opinion, go down as one of the classics of CMBB. Nearly every part of it is perfect. A force balance that actually lets you use historic tactics and a map that offers lots of surprise avenues and lines of fire make this one that I will definitely play over and over from both sides. Outstanding job.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

“Tank Warning”

AAR by James “Sgtgoody” Goodman

This operation will, in my opinion, go down as one of the classics of CMBB. Nearly every part of it is perfect. A force balance that actually lets you use historic tactics and a map that offers lots of surprise avenues and lines of fire make this one that I will definitely play over and over from both sides. Outstanding job.

Excellent AAR. Now, I want to play it! Its been a couple of years since I designed it, so maybe I wont know any of its hidden secrets anymore. Thanks for that..CMBB is a classic.