Disappointed

Disappointment. That sums up my feeling regarding BF:SF.

The quick battle - source of endless hours of enjoyment and novelty has been transformed into a progressively more boring affair. Not only has the ability to purchase individual units been removed, (we are reduced to specifying small, medium, large, etc. as if we were buying generic laundry detergent) but even more crucially, the 'maps' on which the quick battles are played are highly limited in number. After playing one scenario on the airfield, I know it pretty well. After playing 10, I could draw it in my sleep, knowing every depression, elevation, and trick that it has. This re-use of the terrain 'maps' SEVERLY limits the re-playability of CM:SF. The campaign and battles use the same terrain as well. Consequently, whereas the old CM games were infinitely novel in their terrain configuration, CM:SF is already becoming (gasp!) boring.

It seems to me that most of the work was put into the new graphics engine. The graphics

are fine - in some cases (mortar bursts) spectacular. But while playing any of the older titles, I never found myself saying "I wish this game had better graphics". In short, the design and creative resources used to build the game were spent fixing a "problem" that wasn't broke, and in doing so, broke a feature (novelty) that was crucial to the game.

A bad bargain in my judgement.

i fiind doing random maps is quiet simple if you dont know how the elevation tool works. someone could probably put out 15 - 20 in an houer, but these are really not tested to be played than. mabe one side has all hills or all hills are too steep to be used or the map isnt useable at all, but that could be sorted out and random maps in CMx1 had also problems :D

only problem, you cant import maps into a QB anymore.

its not like they couldnt be made...

EDIT

well, it just came to my mind, that the AI would have the wrong AI plan fo the map but for human vs. human it would work ;)

[ August 05, 2007, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

The random selection of QB maps should be optional. The selection by player of what specific map they wish to use for quick battles is a must have.

As for the AI plan- the AI would be already in place through the new editor if the map maker put them in as such (one set of AI for red, one for blue). Am I wrong?

The only alternative to use the map you would want in a QB would be to remove all other selections from the QB map folder. Not something that I want to have to do every time, if the option can be put back in by BFC.

AI now refers to designer plans only (as far as I am concerned there is no "medium" AI between TAC and STRAT AI...).

This means that you can play a QB on a map only once, since next time AI will do the same things it did before...

This could be heaven though, since AI seems to have not even a STRAT plan for QBs... so QBs at the moment don't exist.

After giving it some thought there are several explanations to the sad state of the quick battles.

- Game was released asap - so developers had not enough time to make QB work properly

- They never intented it to be anything, but a shadow of it's former self because it might eat up the sales of further addon packs

- Due to way that the AI works it is impossible to make varied quick battles

Any combination or none of the above decide yourself ;)