Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Grozny MOUT Lessons 1994-1995

While generally a lesson in how not to conduct MOUT, there are some real surprises here, not least of which is the use of the much maligned Molotov in Chechen tank hunting teams. Russian slat armor is described, whopping tank and AFV losses are analyzed, discontinuance of tracer in night ops is detailed, problems with helos are covered, Chechen sniper tactics are outlined, and artillery limitations in MOUT are set forth, together with much more. Disturbing reading!

http://urbanoperations.8media.org/chech1.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

What strikes me about this is just how quickly an Army dies when its funding is cut off.

Cut back on training, cut back on logistics, cut back on maintenance and very quickly you end up with a paper tiger.

It reminds me of the British Army between WWI & II; asset stripped. It's a monumental task to turn it back to a fighting force, one that politicians underestimate the difficulty of.

It explains German successes in Poland and France and underscores just how well the Soviets did after Barbarossa.

[ November 11, 2006, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Other Means ]

What strikes me about this is just how quickly an Army dies when its funding is cut off.
And then combine that with idiot politicians and generals who didn't know that before they comitted the forces to battle. The first assault on Grozny will probably go down as one of the worst military disasters of the 20th Century. Same forces, different orders would have likely resulted in a better showing for the Russians. Still bad, mind you, but not the total slaughter that they experienced.

Steve

All fair comments, but don't underestimate the Chechens. The Russian Army would have performed alot better (although still stumbled alot) if it were repressing Armenians or Georgians or Uzbeks or Kazakhs or something. Chechens are a honest-to-Allah warrior tribe, they raise their boys to fight Russians pretty much from the cradle.

That said, the Russians these days have just about repressed the Chechens with the tried-and-true "Hire Chechens to kill Chechens" plus "Only wimps fear collateral damage."

But short of genocide, I don't see how that place will ever see peace.